Decorate a DIY Resin Tray With Pressed Flowers for Custom Home Decor

$30

I love working with resin and I’m always looking for creative ways to incorporate it into my home decor. This resin accent tray with dried flowers is the perfect way to perfect some resin techniques and create a beautiful piece of custom home decor at the same time. I’ll teach you how to add color to your resin, use pressed flowers in resin, and a few tips and tricks along the way. These techniques can be used on a multitude of home decor pieces, so if a tray isn’t your thing try it on a coaster, canvas, or even a side table! Check out my step-by-step tutorial down below to get started!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Serving tray
  • Resin
  • Dried pressed flowers
  • Culinary torch
  • Gold pigment paste
  • Gold glitter
  • Popsicle sticks
  • Plastic cups
  • Gloves

Mix the Resin

Mix the Resin

When working with resin, you generally need around 3 ounces of resin per square foot. The resin I’m using requires equal amounts of resin and hardener. I measured first in separate cups and then mixed them together. 

Mix Well

Make sure to stir your resin for the amount of time called for on the packaging, you don’t want any bubbles or unmixed resin or your project won’t set properly.

Mix the Colors

Mix the Colors

I removed a bit of the resin and mixed it with a gold paste made specifically to color resin. 

Tip:

When coloring resin don’t use more than 15% pigment or the resin won’t set properly.

Apply a Layer of Resin

Apply a Layer of Resin

I got started by spreading a layer of clear resin onto my tray. You can do this using an offset spatula, however I like to use my hands. Make sure to wear gloves when spreading resin with your hands.

Add Color

Add Color

Using a popsicle stick I created some lines of gold resin. Don’t worry about things being perfect, once you hit it with heat everything will move around a bit anyways.

Hit It with Heat

Hit It with Heat

I like to work with a culinary torch for this part. You can use a heat gun, but don’t use a hairdryer as it doesn’t get hot enough and it blows a little too strongly to work with resin. I moved the gold around just enough until it created a bit of a marbled effect.

Add Pressed Flowers

Add Pressed Flowers

With my first layer of resin applied I was ready to add the pressed flowers. I found my flowers from a seller on Etsy, but you could even press your own if you have the time and patience. 

Lay in Place

Make sure that you have a design in mind beforehand, as it’s pretty hard to move the flowers once they’ve been placed on the resin. 

Add Flower Design

If you like you can use tweezers to more precisely place your flowers.

Dip in Resin

If you’re layering the flowers on top of each other, you can dip them in a bit of the resin off to the side before laying in place. This helps to keep the flowers from moving around too much when you add the next layer of resin.

DIY Pressed Flowers in Resin

Add Another Layer of Resin

Add Another Layer of Resin

Once I had let the resin on the tray harden I mixed up another batch of resin. I mixed some gold glitter into this resin to add a bit of sparkle and dimension. 

Pour the Resin

I dumped it all right on top of the flowers, hit it with a bit of heat, and then spread it all over the tray.

Spread the Resin

Make sure to be careful around the flowers.

Hit it with Heat

Resin is self leveling, so if you see a few spots here or there that are higher or lower they will level out by themselves. I hit it with a torch one last time and then left it to completely dry for 24 hours.

DIY Custom Resin Tray

DIY Pressed Flower Resin Tray

And here it is! What a beautiful piece of custom home decor! How would you decorate your own resin accent tray? Let me know in the comments below!

• Lynette Stevens

Am I correct in thinking your final layer will need to be thick enough to cover the layered flowers? How thick can a layer of resin be and still Fully cure properly.

• Sharrik1963

Can you use a plastic tray for this project? I’m not a resin user but am inspired by your video...

• Wishy washy maybe

Did you know that to clean sticky resin off your hands

use regular vinegar.

Strange, something so natural to clean off something so chemical!

Tray looks great!

• Maude LaFountain

Nice ...and the flowers add a beautiful touch to the tray ....Love it