How to Make Beautiful Pressed Flower Lanterns – Easy DIY

$10

DIY hanging pressed flower lanterns - Step-by-step tutorial. The perfect budget-friendly outdoor lighting for weddings or chic summer garden parties. You can create these lanterns with wildflowers, curbside flowers or even various types of fallen leaves. Don’t let the fact that you don’t own a flower press put you off either, my DIY version below will work just as well.

This is just a portion of the original post - to read the more detailed tutorial please visit the blog through the link at the end of this post.

Pressing flowers

The amount of time it takes for the flowers to dry out depends on the type of flowers you use. Thin-stemmed, small flowers will take longer than thicker, larger flowers and stems. I used some thin meadow flowers and small ferns and as I said, it took around three weeks for them to dry out enough to use in this project.

Draw a circle on the baloon

Draw a line around the top of the balloon which will help you identify where to stop adding paper to allow for the hole at the top where you will add the candle later.

Cover the balloon with paper

• Layer the paper squares on to the balloon overlapping slightly as you go and brush on more paste over the top of each piece. Work your way up to the line you drew earlier and stop there. Allow to dry. Add a second layer once the first layer is dry.

Add the flowers

Now you can add the dried flowers, brushing a layer of glue over the top of each one. Allow to dry. (Depending upon which type of flowers you use, you may find it necessary to immediately add some paper squares over the top of the flowers to make sure they stay put).

Pop the balloon

Using the needle, pop the balloon and remove it completely. You may need to scrape it a bit.

Make loops for hanging

our pressed flower lanterns are almost finished. The very last step will be to make some rings for hanging. I used some silver craft wire to make mine. You just need to cut two small pieces of wire and push one end of each through the lantern on each side. Twist the wire to make a small ring.

Tie some jute twine to the rings and make the handle as long as you need it to be. In my case, I wanted to hang these in the trees so I made my ties quite long.

Hang your lanterns

So, there you have it! Another beautiful and easy DIY. All that’s left to do is to place a candle into your lantern, hang it up and enjoy your beautiful Autumn evenings under the harvest moon!

25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
15 Memorial Day Crafts
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
Chalking Up Success

• Ann Nowak

Will Modge-Podge possibly work as well as "wallpaper glue"?

• Chalking Up Success

Hi Ann, I've never tried making them with Modge-Podge so I can't say for sure, sorry. Maybe you could do a small test lantern to see how it turns out.

• Sun One

Candles ... lighting the candles, burning the candles .. what about burning them up?

• Chalking Up Success

There is always a fire risk with candles you’re right but that’s the reason why you should never leave them unattended. I hang these lanterns outdoors when we are entertaining so there is always someone around while they’re burning. I’m also trying to reduce the amount of plastic I use in my home so I use natural beeswax candles where ever possible but LEDs would also work.

• Mia

What kind of paper is used for this project? Sorry if I missed it in the description. The project links look like they go to wax paper - is that correct? I just want to make sure because I'd love to try this. They're beautiful!

• Terry Morris

I love this idea. I am trying to think of some Christmas flowers I could use to hang these in the trees at Christmas. I love it!!😊

• 516maria

So beautiful, it looks like it’s pretty easy to do with most supplies at home already. I can’t wait to try it,