Interior Hollow Core Door Makeover

$200

Give your ugly hollow core doors an impressive makeover that wont break the bank. This DIY will completely transform your space!

Check out the video for the full tutorial.

Or check out my blog post.

Before our doors were in pretty rough shape. I had started a painting project that I abandoned for this more dramatic transformation. They also had super cheap gold handles that weren't working well.

Sand

Move your doors into an open space with good airflow. Sand the entire surface of the doors with a course grit sandpaper. I used 50 grit. Make sure to clean them we'll before gluing down the planks.

Make the Planks

Use 1/4 in Sande Plywood to create planks for your door makeover. We cut our planks out at a six inches wide. This is lightweight, inexpensive and will look good stained or painted.

Glue

Glue your planks onto your door using wood glue. Make sure to spread the glue out evenly for maximum adhesive power. Use a nickel as a spacer between planks. This will give you about a 1/16 of an inch gap.

Finished Product

Prime, paint and rehang your door. I also replaced my door hardware. If new hardware isn't in the budget, you can save some money by giving your knobs a spray paint update instead.

Heather Cammack

• JudyH

Why is there such a huge gap between the bottom of the door and the floor in the finished photo? It looks like it is several inches. Is the door too short for the casement?

• JudyH

Thanks Heather! It must just be an optical illusion.

• Gem49242350

Did you have to adjust hinges to close door?

• Kim
    14 hours ago

Did you actually do both sides of the door or only the outside/hallway side? If you did both sides did this make the door a lot heavier causing any issues for the hinges or being to wide/thick for the doorway now?

• Heather Cammack
      25 minutes ago

Hey there. I didn't do both sides of the door, but that was only to save money. You could easily do both sides and at least the hinges on my doors would have been fine. The Sande plywood is extremely lightweight. Also, if you checked out my video or blog you would have seen that I did have to move the door stop molding on my door jamb to accommodate the added width. This was a very simple and easy process. The bedroom sides wouldn't need any adjustments since the width wouldn't affect the jamb on that side.

• Cellison

I've gotta give this one a try. Thanks for sharing.

• Kim
    14 hours ago

I’ve ALWAYS hated my ‘plain‘ doors, but replacing ALL of them is just way to expensive!! This is something I might be able to convince my hubby into - he is an excellent handyman so the materials would be the only cost (no labor $$ involved!). I LOVED the way the final look turned out!! Thank you so much for sharing your GREAT idea!!!