How to Paint Corn Hole Boards DIY

$85

My husband gave me an unpainted cornhole board set the Christmas before last. I have been meaning to paint them for so long! Now that we are sheltering in place at home, I finally found the time to paint them! I discovered that the quickest and easier way to paint an unfinished corn hole set is with spray paint.

Choose a Design

If you look around on Google and Pinterest, you will see that there are lots of cute ways to paint cornhole boards! I am not the most artistic, however, so I decided to spray paint some easy to accomplish stripes on my boards.

I opted against staining my boards, since I read that stain on plywood can turn out blotchy.

I decided to prime the boards with some white spray paint primer. My boards were already smooth and didn't need sanding. I simply wiped the boards clean with a damp paper towel before beginning my project.

Use Frog Tape to lay out the design you chose onto your boards.

I decided to add five colors of stripes on my cornhole boards with white stripes in between the colorful stripes. (The white stripes will be where I put the Frog Tape down.)

Choose Your Colors

The next step was to choose my colors. I already had two really pretty shades of blue spray paint and one shade on yellow on hand, so I decided to go with that. All I needed to purchase were two cans of white spray paint primer.

Spray Paint Stripes

At first I simply spray painted each stripe on. But I discovered that I got some overspray from the wind. I wound up touching up those stripes by taping the outsides of each stripe with Frog Tape and then taping craft paper over the sections of the boards that I didn't want sprayed and worked on one stripe at a time.

It took me a while to fix the spots where I got overspray, so I'd suggest leaving only one stripe uncovered at a time so you can spray paint one stripe at a time.

Since it took me a while to clean up the overspray, I still need to add several layers of water-based polyurethane on top of the boards. (To give them some protection and to make the boards more slippery.) I will be applying the layers of polyurethane with a foam brush and will sand the boards smooth with fine grit sandpaper in between each coat.

In the meantime, my family and I have been enjoying the newly painted cornhole boards!

3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
15 Memorial Day Crafts
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
Lauren of Mom Home Guide

• Sherry Turner
    Sherry Turner

Great job! Love the color combination, too. But, what the heck is a corn hole board?

• Marie Maggio
      Marie Maggio

The game is called corn hole. You toss the bags from a distance to go in the hole for points. The board is called a corn hole board. Why? I have no idea. I call it bean bag toss!!! Lol