Make a New Table Look Vintage With This Painting Technique

$20

It’s always nice when you can repurpose reclaimed wood for a new project. One of the latest trends is furniture made from old Indonesian fishing boats, but these can cost a pretty penny. I’m going to show you how you can get the same look for less! With some basic painting supplies, you can make your wooden furniture look like it’s spent years at the mercy of the elements. This painting technique is great for creating pieces of furniture for a beach house or if you’re going for a beachy vibe in your home.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Paint
  • Paint scraper

Apply the First Layer of Paint

Apply the First Layer of Paint

When doing this technique, you need to paint from the darkest to the lightest color, so I’m started with In the Navy by Dixie Belle Paint. I picked up a bit of paint and wiped it across the wood. It’s almost like frosting a cake. 

Scrape

Keep the paint scraper parallel to the wood while doing this. You want it to skip across the wood, leaving chunks of it unpainted. Then let it dry completely.

First Coat

Apply the Second Layer of Paint

Apply the Second Layer of Paint

I repeated the first step with the second color, Mermaid Tail by Dixie Belle Paint. As you can see much more of the wood has been covered by paint now and the look is starting to come together. 

Apply the Third Layer of Paint

Apply the Third Layer of Paint

I repeated the same process again with The Gulf paint from Dixie Belle Paint. I wanted some wood to still show through, so I made sure to leave bits unpainted here and there. Remember that you can go in whatever direction you want. I like how it looks with paint applied from all different angles.

DIY Painting Technique

Apply the Final Layer of Paint

Apply the Final Layer of Paint

The last color that I wanted to apply was Drop Cloth by Dixie Belle Paints. If you want you can add more colors, but I felt like the four that I had chosen provided the desired effect. I repeated the process one last time and let it dry completely. 

DIY Antique Painting Technique

DIY Reclaimed Wood Painting Technique

Doesn’t it look antique? You’d never know that this wood hasn’t been living outside for twenty years. What furniture would you use this technique on? Let me know in the comments below!

Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Bella Renovare by Crys'Dawna

• K

What a great idea! I can't wait to use up some old paint. The color combinations are endless! Thank you for your inspiration!

• Kevin
    Just now

Very nice coastal, nautical with an edge!