Bring a Little Whimsy to Your Garden With This Mushroom Garden Decor

$10

Throw together some cute garden decor in a matter of minutes! These terra cotta pot mushrooms will add a touch of whimsy to your garden! You’ll be entertaining fairies and gnomes in no time! I whipped these up with some basic craft supplies and I simply love the way they bring a little magic into my garden. Follow my step-by-step tutorial to create a set for your own garden!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Terra cotta pots
  • Terra cotta saucers
  • High gloss white paint
  • High gloss red paint
  • Round sponge brush
  • Paint brush
  • Sealant

Paint the Pot and Saucer

Paint the Pot and Saucer

I started off by painting the bottom of the saucer red. If you’re in a hurry, you can use spray paint, but I really like this high gloss red paint so I chose to stick with it. Terra cotta, and any clay pot for that matter, is very porous and will dry rather quickly when painted, making this a great project to do with little ones who tend to have shorter attention spans. I also painted the outside of the pot with a high gloss white paint.

Painted Saucer

Add Some Dots

Add Some Dots

In order to complete the mushroom look, I needed to add a few white dots to the saucer, which would serve as the mushroom cap. 

Add Polka Dots

I used a round sponge brush, which made it super easy to create consistently sized polka dots in a jiffy. I love the classic red and white mushroom, but you can go for any color combination you like. 

Swirl the Paint

If there are any polka dots that need a touch up, go back in with a small paint brush and swirl the paint around, keeping the same sized circle but just filling in any spots missing some paint.

Seal

Seal

Before I put everything together, I needed to seal it. It’s important to seal both the inside and the outside of the pot and saucer. As I said before, clay pots are very porous, so if any moisture gets into the inside of the pot, it will seep through to the outer layer and crack the paint. 

Spray

Whenever working with spray paint, make sure to do so in a well ventilated area. I made sure to get a good coat on the inside and outside of the pot and saucer. It will darken it a tad, but that’s totally fine.

Spray the Inside

Assemble the Mushrooms

Assemble the Mushrooms

Once everything had dried it was time to put it all together. You can just lay the saucer on top of the pot without gluing as it’s unlikely they’ll get touched or moved. If you’re looking for a bit more security, go ahead and glue them together with some superglue and you’re good to go!

Mushroom Garden Decor

Aren’t they just magical! You can almost see a tiny fairy taking a nap underneath it. What decor do you have in your garden? Let me know in the comments below!

15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Sarah Vanderkooy

• Elizabeth

Loved these! I am big gardener on the cheap. Please let me know the name of the sealant that you sprayed on at the end.

• Dora

After seeing this I rushed to the store. I made 4 of these. Absolutely beautiful