Bring a Little Whimsy to Your Garden With This Mushroom Garden Decor

$10

Throw together some cute garden decor in a matter of minutes! These terra cotta pot mushrooms will add a touch of whimsy to your garden! You’ll be entertaining fairies and gnomes in no time! I whipped these up with some basic craft supplies and I simply love the way they bring a little magic into my garden. Follow my step-by-step tutorial to create a set for your own garden!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Terra cotta pots
  • Terra cotta saucers
  • High gloss white paint
  • High gloss red paint
  • Round sponge brush
  • Paint brush
  • Sealant

Paint the Pot and Saucer

Paint the Pot and Saucer

I started off by painting the bottom of the saucer red. If you’re in a hurry, you can use spray paint, but I really like this high gloss red paint so I chose to stick with it. Terra cotta, and any clay pot for that matter, is very porous and will dry rather quickly when painted, making this a great project to do with little ones who tend to have shorter attention spans. I also painted the outside of the pot with a high gloss white paint.

Painted Saucer

Add Some Dots

Add Some Dots

In order to complete the mushroom look, I needed to add a few white dots to the saucer, which would serve as the mushroom cap. 

Add Polka Dots

I used a round sponge brush, which made it super easy to create consistently sized polka dots in a jiffy. I love the classic red and white mushroom, but you can go for any color combination you like. 

Swirl the Paint

If there are any polka dots that need a touch up, go back in with a small paint brush and swirl the paint around, keeping the same sized circle but just filling in any spots missing some paint.

Seal

Seal

Before I put everything together, I needed to seal it. It’s important to seal both the inside and the outside of the pot and saucer. As I said before, clay pots are very porous, so if any moisture gets into the inside of the pot, it will seep through to the outer layer and crack the paint. 

Spray

Whenever working with spray paint, make sure to do so in a well ventilated area. I made sure to get a good coat on the inside and outside of the pot and saucer. It will darken it a tad, but that’s totally fine.

Spray the Inside

Assemble the Mushrooms

Assemble the Mushrooms

Once everything had dried it was time to put it all together. You can just lay the saucer on top of the pot without gluing as it’s unlikely they’ll get touched or moved. If you’re looking for a bit more security, go ahead and glue them together with some superglue and you’re good to go!

Mushroom Garden Decor

Aren’t they just magical! You can almost see a tiny fairy taking a nap underneath it. What decor do you have in your garden? Let me know in the comments below!

Sarah Vanderkooy

• Leida R

Too cute! Love it.

• Ka
    Just now

Such a cute idea! I love them! I bet the big ones Mrs. K talked about would be cute beside the ones you made, Kinda like a little seat. I do not know about weight, but would be cute for a child. Anyway, you did a great job!