Asked on Jun 17, 2020

How long until poison ivy exposure shows up ?

PatMorgan McBrideKathy Gunter Law
+12

Answered

Extremely allergic to poison ivy after years of multiple exposures.

Yesterday, accidentally brushed against some while pulling out vine weeds.

Have soaped-up my hands & arms 8 times yesterday, dried with paper towels.

When do I see infection symptoms?


11 answers
  • Julie
    on Jun 17, 2020

    My husband normally breaks out within 3-4 days and I by the next AM.

  • Anywhere from 12 hours to 2 days.

  • Joy Elizabeth
    on Jun 18, 2020

    If you washed up within an hour of it touching you, you are most likely fine! Since the oil was stripped from your skin quickly.

  • Kim S
    on Jun 18, 2020

    Can be as long as a week. But you should be okay, I use a scrubby to really get after it.

  • Betsy
    on Jun 18, 2020

    Hi Lifestyles: I found this information for you. "The symptoms vary in severity from person to person. The plant oil can begin to penetrate the skin within 5-10 minutes of contact. Poison ivy rash can appear in as little as 4 hours or as long as 2-3 weeks after exposure. Generally, the first blisters appear within 1-14 days." There is a really good product at the store that helps me out a lot. It's called Tecnu. There is a spray, soap, etc. You can get it at Walmart and most drug stores. I hope this helps. Good luck.

    • Betsy
      on Jun 20, 2020

      I keep the soap on hand (no pun intended) along with the foam and spray. I've tried other brands, but Tecnu seems to be the best. If you have poison ivy in your yard, get a product called Ground Clear and, if you can get hold of a syringe from someone who had diabetes or needs to inject medications, fill the syringe with the ground clear and inject it into the vine stem in several places, in a downward direction. This will carry the poison to the roots and not kill anything else around the plant. You can even use a small foam brush to brush the bottom of several leaves, and that will take the poison to the roots, too. Be careful and take care.

  • Cindy
    on Jun 18, 2020

    Hi Lifestyles. I read a report put out by Mayo Clinic. It said the reaction usually develops 12 to 48 hours after exposure and lasts 2 to 3 weeks. The severity of the rash depends on the amount of urushiol that gets on your skin. Wishing you all the best.

  • Peggy Burnette
    on Jun 18, 2020

    Hi this is Peggy. I hope you are safe and do not have problems after brushing against that nasty poison ivy. Here is what they say about exposure time. Good luck and stay safe.Search Results


    Featured snippet from the web

    The reaction usually develops 12 to 48 hours after exposure and lasts two to three weeks. The severity of the rash depends on the amount of urushiol that gets on your skin. A section of skin with more urushiol on it may develop a rash sooner.


    Poison ivy rash - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic

    www.mayoclinic.org › symptoms-causes › syc-20376485


  • Cynthia H
    on Jun 18, 2020

    Generally, you would be showing some reaction by now. Maybe you managed to dodge this one. Good luck and stay safe!

  • Kathy Gunter Law
    on Jun 18, 2020

    I usually see it within a couple of hours. I found an amazing soap that you lather up and leave on if you have a reaction, also works for other irritations. I bought it an Amish store. Poison Ivy*Oak*Sumac with Jewel weed extract with soothing oils of peppermint & chamomile.

    This soap is similar or try etsy.

    https://www.google.com/shopping/product/14703638558361907209?q=poison+ivy+oak+sumac+with+jewelweed+extract+soap&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS814US814&biw=1920&bih=937&prds=epd:15260074844582391332,prmr:1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiyp4bix4vqAhUMA6wKHROtAkEQ8wII1QQ

  • Morgan McBride
    on Jun 18, 2020

    I'm not allergic to poison ivy it doesn't effect me!

  • Pat
    on Jun 19, 2020

    My son was terrible around poison ivy. Just riding his bike down the road with poison ivy in the ditches was enough to give him a huge rash...Doctor had me bring him in and he gave him a series of shots and that did it....never had another bout of poison ivy rash again. I do not know what the doctor gave him but it worked. This was some years ago however...but you could talk to your doctor or dermatologist.

Your comment...