No Garden, No Worries: Making Indoor Herb Pots

$10

We have only cement and a pool in our backyard, and wished we had some of our fave herbs.

Use Terracotta Pots

Terracotta Pots from the dollar store

I got these pots at the dollar store. They were 2/$1.

Peel Off The Price Tag

I did this because it would look better should I ever put it in a glass shelf.

Gather Your Old Paints

Use Black and White Paint

I gathered some old white and black paint that I already had left over from other project. They are just regular household pain. I think that this project would have been fine also using acrylic paints. Also, you don't have to do black and white. You could marbleize with blue and white, or any other color for that matter.

Use a Plastic Storage Bin

It doesn't matter what size storage container you use. What you do need to know is that if you are doing smaller terracotta pots like I did, then you want the plastic container to be large enough for you to put your arm in and turn the pot around in the paint.

Fill up with white paint

Fill the container with white paint

You need enough paint so that the pot can turn around and not hit the bottom of the container. I asked to meet that I put up a 1-inch of white paint.

Mix In Black Paint

Add Black Paint

You don't need as much black paint as you did the white paint. Use your own judgement according to how large your hotstar. I would estimate that I used approximately one cup of black paint in total for 5 terracotta plants. Then, use a pencil or a paint stir stick, or anything that is long, and just swirl the black paint gently around the container so it makes a marble looking pattern.

Dip the Pot Into the Paint

Time to Twirl the Pot

The last step is to put the terracotta pot into the paint gently turning it around and around. I had my hand inside the pot, and my other hand at the base of the pot as I turned it around, which just made it easier to twirl.

Put the Pot on It's Side

Let it Dry

I put the pot on its side held by a paint stick that I had wedged between a clamp. Underneath I put some cardboard to collect the drips.

Paint the Inside

Touch-ups

Later, I painted a boat 2in of the inside of the terracotta pot, so that you couldn't see that it was a different color after I added some dirt. You could paint the whole inside if you want to.

Adding Herbs

Add the Herbs

Now it's the fun part, where you can add your favorite herbs ready for you to use at any time.

This looks so good in my kitchen. The marbleized pots match well and suit the space perfectly, while giving the pots a more expensive look. Let me know if you try this. I'd love to see it.

• I

This looks amazing! Do you think this would work on plastic planters? Maybe use latex paint instead? Definitely want to try this!