DIY Pendant Light

$40

The light in my dining room has been bothering me since I moved in, it has no personality and is just blah. I decided to upgrade that space by DIYing a basket into a pendant light that would fit the vibe of my room. It was so easy, turned out super cute and made such an impact!

Gather supplies

(pardon me for using the screenshots from my IG story--- feel free to follow me on there for more DIYs @emgraceyourspace)

I was inspired to do this project by several DIYers I follow (Lone Fox, Macenna Lee, etc) and they have made it look so easy. I found this super cute black rattan/ woven wire basket at Joann's that was on sale for only $10. The pendant light I bought from amazon, as well as the light bulbs, and I already had the scissors, wire cutters and hot glue at home.

Light bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SFDLVZN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pendant light: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HX2EVHG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mark the area of your pendant light with a pencil

Cut it out with a heavy duty scissors and/or wire cutter

I was a little worried about cutting the weaves and it unraveling, and I was prepared to hot glue any undone pieces if they were to do so. But surprisingly it all stayed together really well and didn't unravel at all.

Once the hole was cut out, we made sure the light fit inside the the cut out and then hot glued it into place.

Sure the hot glue was a little bit messy, but because it's on the top of the light and will be towards the ceiling, no one will be able to tell. The light was super sturdy once it was hot glued and I had no concerns of it slipping.

Install the pendant light

This was what our light looked like before. My boyfriend is experienced with changing out lights and I trusted him to do it for me.

Disclaimer: I live in an apartment and I did check in with the maintenance staff and landlord to see if this would be allowed. While they don't *like* or recommend replacing light fixtures, they told me as long as I replace the original fixture back when I eventually move out, it's not an issue. I don't plan on changing out any more light fixtures in the apartment due to the hassle. But if you live in a rental, make sure to check before you do this :)

and Viola! A new light fixture that fits beautifully in my dining area.

I love that the basket shows off beautiful rays of light on the ceiling. It gives off such a cozy vibe.

As you can see there at the top, I did swag the excess cord onto a ceiling hook and centered the light above my dining table. It was super easy. This project took 30 minutes, including install time, and made such an impact. This is doable with many different baskets you can find in stores!

30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
15 Perfectly Round Tables