Re-purposed Paper Organizer Desk

$20

I am working on a station in my craft room giving me a space where my printer and cricut can be along with storage. We had an old computer desk, you know those inexpensive computer desk we all probably had once in our computer lives?

As you can see in the photo below, I needed to find a solution on how to store all of my Cricut vinyl sheets and scrapbooking paper.

The more I looked at the desk the more I realized this could be used for my cricut station. Bless Mr. Tip’s heart when I pulled in the garage with the desk in the back of my car. He said, “what in the world are you going to do with that”? What do you think, can it be used in my craft room? Yet betcha!!

To solve my scrapbooking paper issue, I decided to make little shelves inside the cabinet. When at Home Depot I saw packages of shims. The length of the shims are the same size as the cabinet’s side. Can you believe that? How perfect? Using my upholstery stapler and 16 shims, I attached 8 shims to each side of the cabinet. I spaced the shims 3 inches apart from each other.

I primed and painted the desk with Benjamin Moore Advance Chantilly Lace.For the dividers to be placed on the shims I purchased a 4′ x 4′ panel of underlayment at Home Depot for the dividers. I had them cut 8 pieces 11½” x 13½” and I needed a piece of peg board cut to be placed above the desk.Before I painted the boards I made sure they fit into my cabinet.

YAY !! They fit. I removed them from the cabinet, sanded the edges and painted them with Chantilly Lace.

Once they were dry I placed them back into the cabinet. I am pleased at how it turned out.

It is a perfect place to store my paper supply.

I color coordinated all of my paper and added them to the dividers.

With no storage to the desk other than the paper dividers, I added a peg board above the cabinet to hold some of my supplies for this station. To dress up the peg board I used an empty frame I had up in our attic, I brought it down, cleaned it up, sanded and painted the frame with Chantilly Lace to add to the peg board.

I placed furring strips on the wall to the studs for support, attached the peg board to the strips and then glued the frame to the peg board. I added peg board hooks to place some supplies on.

On the desk top I added a platform to hold our printer this helps so I can add my printer paper below in a basket for storage. I also added my cricut to the top of the desk as well.

For more storage I added some decorative storage boxes under the desk to hold more supplies.

To store my Cricut's mats I screwed a hook to one side of the desk. I like the idea of hanging the mats so they won't get messed up or bent.

I am so pleased at how the station turned out. All of my supplies are neatly stored. The paper dividers turned out great and grabbing the paper I need will be easy to do. Adding the peg board allows me to store my cricut tools.

To see the full tutorial check out my blog! If you like my blog be sure to click on the LIKE button and SHARE it with your friends! It’s the best way for my blog to grow. I would love for you to be part of my family so sign up to receive my emails. Every time I post a blog I will send you an update email. Also, follow me on Facebook HERE, Instagram HERE and Pinterest HERE. Come by and say Hey!Stay strong and Blessed ♥

30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Decorate and More with Tip

• BrokeCrazyLady

I am not easily impressed, but this one really did impress me. But why didn't you use paint stirring sticks?

• Decorate and More with Tip

Awe thank you. Love your comment. Regarding the paint stir sticks. I am sure that would work perfect, I just grabbed the shims. I would of had to buy two packs of the stir sticks and only one pack of the shims. Cost friendly I went with the shims.

• Spring Chick

Shims, furring strips, paint stick would all do the job of supports. You might want to consider adding square Quarter inch trim found at model and hobby stores to the front of the shelves. Time and humidity will eventually cause them to sag. Use wood glue to attach them; it is actually very strong. If you are still unsure, you may be able to find small wire brads that are shorter than the total thickness of the trim and shelves. Put the wire brads in through the shelf and then into the trim and paint. The trim pieces will distribute the pull of gravity equally along the unsupported front edge and prevent the sag. Good luck

• Decorate and More with Tip

Thanks for all your tips. As of right now I will keep it as is. When and if it starts to sag I will address that then. Thank you though.

• Lisa West

Im super jealous. Lol my rafy room looks the beaches of Normandy. Lol great job looks great enjoy and keep creating.

• Thanks Lisa. Now I am still organizing and working to set my craft room up. I am just now creating a craft room. Give me a month working in it. I am sure mine will look like an Alabama tornado hit it!