Easy Rustic Backsplash

$50

When we built our guest cottage instead of giving it a full kitchen, we designed in a wet bar. We gave it a sink and a counter big enough for a coffee station and microwave. The one thing I couldn't decide on was what to do for a backsplash.

Walking through Hobby Lobby, I was inspired when I saw these bags of wood slices. I thought they would make a beautiful backsplash.

I could do it myself by simply gluing them to the wall with wood glue. It would be quick, easy and inexpensive.

It was a bit like putting a puzzle together. I loved that I couldn't make a mistake.

I just had to keep layering in the ones that fit. There is naturally space between the circles and that's ok.

Each bag of circles cost under $5 and it took about ten bags for me to cover the area under the cabinets.

I tried to vary the different sizes of circles each time I glued a piece on.

We kept it below the cabinets giving it a relaxed slope up under the open shelves.

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
Kristin | White Arrows Home

• FdLNana

Do you put any kind of protective coating over it. As a backsplash, at least at my house, there would be a lot of dirt and grime, or just everyday dust. How do you clean it and keep it clean?

• Mary Porod

I would imagine that since it’s a wet bar and not a regular kitchen backsplash it’s not going to get the use and abuse that a regular kitchen backsplash would. I could see dust being the biggest problem since there is no cooktop to be a source of splatters. Probably could be vacuumed if it gets dusty. I think it’s a super cute rustic touch for a guest cottage.

• Nancy

How do you keep it clean and stain free? Those wood slices are very porous.

• Kim 'Kiewatt' Waknitz

Just curious as how do you keep it clean and did you seal it?