Asked on Jun 18, 2020

Repair sun damage?

Kathy Gunter LawPeggy L BurnettePatty
+13

Fix Bleached out sun streeks on my best polyester black dress. Is there a paint or dye

• Nan W.
    Nan W.

Anna: maybe this video will help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHXBIwhgAjM

• Rit makes a dye for synthetics. I think that's your best bet, Anna.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

You can find Rit dye for synthetics like polyester, acrylics, acetate and others from Joann and Amazon for sure. That sounds like the best product for your dress. Best to you.

• Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride

I'd use RIT dye.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. I might suggest fabric paint, watered down. Carefully dab spots.

I am under the impression that synthetic fabrics Do not respond to Rit dyes.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Where exactly on the dress are the bleached out areas, and how large are they?

I am wondering if sewing ribbon, appliques, or other trim overtop of the areas might be an alternative to trying to dye the whole garment?

• Flipturn
      Flipturn

Something else that I was thinking about:

Is the fabric knit, or woven?

This may be an important consideration in dying, as often dyes require hot water, and if the garment is knit, rather than woven, it may shrink.

• Patty
    Patty

I would take it to a dry cleaner to see what they can do. I can tell you, I have used Magic Markers on clothes before, on the back side. You must go very slowly, a little bit at a time. Blend in with a brush or Qtip.

• Peggy L Burnette
    Peggy L Burnette

Hi Anna, sorry about your black dress. I hope this helps you. Good luck. How do you fix faded black clothes?

To brighten faded black clothes, first put them in the washer on a normal cycle using cold water. Then brew 2 cups of very strong black coffee or tea. When your washer's rinse cycle starts, add the coffee or tea, then let the cycle finish. Hang the clothes to dry, since putting them in the dryer can fade them.

3 Ways to Brighten Faded Black Clothing - wikiHow Life

www.wikihow.life › Brighten-Faded-Black-Clothing

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

I use Rit dye. You can do it on your stove top or in your washer, if it isn't self leveling. If you do it in the washer, make sure to run TWO cleaning cycles afterwards or you'll be looking for a way to remove black dye from other items.

I did this with a pair of black pants that got cleaner splattered on them that contained some time of bleaching agent. Perfect results.