Asked on Jun 19, 2020

Clean 45 yrs old sand paintings?

Kim  |Exquisitely UnremarkableJohnavallance82Cynthia H
+10

How to clean real old Indian sand paintings beside dusting it off. Real dirty. 45 yrs old.

• I would use a dry paint brush to dust it and maybe a can of compressed air. If you still think it needs more, consult a professional so no damage is done to the art.

• Vimarhonor

Hello. Something like that with age and value you don’t want to be very aggressive have you tried a hair dryer on cool at a low speed does that have any impact?

• Redcatcec

A soft dry brush traditionally, but have to ask, what is the painting on? Canvas, stone?

• Kathy Gunter Law

Try "canned air", the kind you use for your keyboard and sewing machine. A blow dryer on low, cool setting.

A microfiber duster that "grabs" dirt & dust might be another option.

• Beth

This site notes that, "Compressed air is also useful for dusting and cleaning sand paintings." I think that air, along with a dry brush, should help. Try the compressed air on a corner of the painting first to make sure it won't harm it.

• You could try the bread trick where you take a slice of bread and press it onto the painting to help lift off the gunk. No matter what you do, do a test patch first.

• Morgan McBride

Hmm could you use canned air like for cleaning a keyboard

Hi Margie: If they are valuable, I'd check around to see what a professional would charge to do this. You'd hate to ruin them, I'm sure. The only other thing I can suggest is to use a soft paint brush and brush the painting lightly or use a can of compressed air, only not too close so you blow some of the sand off. First I'd check with a professional to see what they charge or maybe can give you some suggestions. Good luck

• Kmdreamer

You should get them professionally cleaned I’m not going to touch that one.

• Cynthia H

I wouldn't touch them beyond a careful dusting. A professional cleaning would get them back to where regular dusting would be effective. Good luck and stay safe!

• Johnavallance82

Hello Margie,

Will the sand move if it is blown on. If not then try using a hairdryer on low speed!

• I would use a hair dryer on a very low speed, as stated above, unless you think that the sand will move. However an antique dealer might have a better suggestion...and safer.