Cotton and Lavender Farmhouse Wall Decor

$30

I love the look of purple, sage green and white together so I decided to use these colors as part of my wall decor project. Cotton, lavender and lambs ear are perfect for the look I was going for.

Supplies

• Large frame (mine is 12 x 12)
  • chicken wire/ wire cutters
  • staple gun
  • chalk paint/sponge brush
  • sandpaper
  • small steel container with a hook (Hobby Lobby)
  • floral foam
  • lambs ear, lavender and cotton stems
  • sawtooth hook
  • twine

Paint Frame

Frames can be expensive. Here’s a tip, go to your local charity store and look in their wall art section. Look past the color, you can always paint over it. I found my frame at a local shop for $8.

I started by using chalk paint to paint my 12 x 12 frame. When I plan to distress a project, I use chalk paint because it’s drier than regular acrylic and sands down beautifully. I painted two coats and when dried completely, I turned the frame over and attached the chicken wire.

Chicken Wire

I found this particular chicken wire at Michaels (coupon made it under $5). I rolled it out and stretched it so it was as flat as I could get it and started stapling it down with my staple gun. I stretched it in all directions to make sure it was tight and cut off the excess with my wire cutters.

Distressing Frame

Next I turned the frame back over and started distressing it with sandpaper. Since it was a dark fame underneath, the distressed effect was perfect. If you have a lighter frame and want this effect, paint a coat of black acrylic paint on your frame first and put the two coats of white over it. When you sand it down, the darker color will show through, giving a rustic, farmhouse look.

Arrange Plants

I bought a container with a hook at Hobby Lobby and dabbed it with some gray and black paint so it wasn't so shiny. Then I dropped the round floral foam inside and started with my lamb’s ear and filled the container. Next I stuck in the lavender here and there. adding the cotton stems last.

Add Twine

Once I liked the arrangement, I took some twine and added it around the container. Then I hooked the container onto the chicken wire with the hook that came with the container. The frame already had a sawtooth hook on it so it's ready to hang!