The first thing I needed to do was deal with the seat webbing. My original plan was to order a roll of patio chair webbing and attempt to re-do them. But after taking a closer look, I could see that the straps weren’t broken, they just came loose.
Salvaged Patio Chairs
My neighbours had a couple of patio chairs that had seen better days, so they kicked them to the curb. And I immediately scooped them up! The chairs rock and swivel and I’ve always loved how super comfortable they are!
I re-attached the existing straps. I pulled them as tight as I could and clamped them so they would stay in place. Then I pre-drilled holes and used metal screws to fasten the straps to the chair. I did two screws per strap.
Then I flipped the chair over and sprayed the swivel mechanisms with WD-40 for a smoooooth ride. LOL
I spray painted the chair frames flat black. I wore a mask to ensure I wasn’t inhaling the paint.
While I was waiting for the paint to dry, I gave the cushions a good cleaning with my Little Green Machine and left them in the sun to dry. I had originally considered re-upholstering them, but the cushions were in great shape with no sun fading, rips or stains. So it just didn’t seem like re-upholstery was worth the effort. (Plus I’ve never done it before and likely would have taken me all summer! Lol)
I didn’t love the ‘slit’ in the backrest part of the cushions, so I just flipped them around so the slits are at the back. Then I trimmed off some of the strings that tied the cushions to the frames, for a cleaner look. The cushions fit snugly into the frame so some of the strings were not necessary. I just left the two top ones.
And here are my salvaged chairs! Not bad for $0. I had everything on hand to do this project. I posted $10 as the make-over cost due to the partial can of spray paint and the few screws I used.