Asked on Jun 19, 2020

How can I figure out what wire to use for a swag chandelier?

Cheryl AKim  |Exquisitely UnremarkableHomeroad
+11

so a friend gave me a small chandelier and i need to know if I can use speaker wire to do the main wire that goes down to the the six lights. Did that make sense? Maybe some day I can complete 1 project. You all give me lots of great answers. Thank you so much!!

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Katie, you will need to buy real electrical wire - speaker wire isn't "thick" enough to safely take an electrical load like that. To be safe I would go buy 12/2 and use that. For sure then you will be totally safe. You can remove the wires from the sheath to use them.

• Kathy Gunter Law

If you are going to use for lighting, you will need regular wiring for lamps rather than speaker wire. Make sure you get the kind that is made for wiring lamps instead of the bulky wiring for walls. I advise you do a lot of research on how to wire a lamp videos.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

I don’t think speaker wire has enough current for a lighting fixture. You’ll need lighting grade wire.

• Mogie

Speaker wire isn't made for lighting. Just go to lowes and spend a few dollars for some wire used for lighting.

• Cindy

Hi Katie. No, don't use speaker wire. The gauge is too small on speaker wire and it could possibly burn up. You will need either 12 or 14 gauge. Look on the wires already in the chandelier . There should be writing on them. The writing is telling you what gauge you should use. You will want to match that gauge. Good luck Katie. I'm hoping all is well with you.

Speaker wire is not made for use as electrical wire. Lowes, Home Depot, and Menards sell electric lamp wire by the foot.

• Vimarhonor

Hello. I would suggest going to a local home improvement center and purchasing the correct lamp electric wiring supplies.

• Unique Creations By Anita

No, you need proper electrical wire it is easy to get at most hardware stores.

• Johnavallance82

Hello Katie,

The gauge is about the same as for wire coat hangers, hope that helps.

• Lifestyles Homes

You mean to structurally hang it, or to physically provide electricity to it?

They are two different things.

• Annie

Do not use speaker wire. It is not rated for 120 volts. Local hardware stores should have "decorative" wire for lamps etc.

• Homeroad

If you are replacing the lighting wire, speaker wire is different. You will need lighting wire.

• No, speaker wire isn't rated for that. We buy the kits online that have the proper wire included. You can also buy it by the foot at the hardware store.

• Cheryl A

you can buy the wire for cheap at any hardware or big box store- speaker wire will not work and could cause a fire