Asked on Jun 20, 2020

Early 1970s era stove/oven: Oven is not heating high nor broiling

Lifestyles HomesKim  |Exquisitely UnremarkableCynthia H
+10

I replaced the bottom heating element on my stove and it's worked for.months, but will no longer heat as high as is needed and the broiler won't work. Any idea what might be wrong? What to do? I'd like to keep it. It's avocado if that tells you the time it was bought.

• Redcatcec

Is this gas or electric?

I would buy a new stove/oven. It is probably not worth investing your hard earned money in. The new appliances are energy efficient and have warranties.

As a note, we bought our house with the avocado green tub/shower with the help of a board and Bondo, it held up for a while, then needed replacing.

• Janice

Hi Donna, here's a video showing the 6 most common reasons for oven problems. This may be helpful or not due to the age of your avocado stove. I had one once! :)

Hope this is helpful. Perhaps your new element replacement is also defective. Did you have someone install it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTChC_j4jSo

Go to https://www.repairclinic.com/ They have repair guides, schematics and sell parts

• Mogie

50 years for an oven to work is a long time. There are many models out there that will give you more precise heat, are more energy efficient and will offer more features. Lowes was having a sale last week.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

I would call 800 number of stove manufactures

• Flipturn

You may be attached to it, but all avocados eventually reach their 'shelf life expiry date'.

(My first apt had an avocado stove, and an avocado fridge!)

• Maura White

The cost of parts could be expensive or may no longer exist if its that old. Maybe you could find a used oven to replace it so the expense wouldn't be so high?

• Cynthia H

I had one that was harvest gold! But, eventually it died of old age and I bought a new one. Newer stoves are more energy efficient and have some nice features including heating to the right temperature. There are companies that rebuild vintage appliances, but, I have no idea what it would cost. I'm guessing more than a new one. Good luck and stay safe!

• Sounds like a classic! If you're really attached to it, I would call a repair person to evaluate the issue. If it can't be fixed, I have seen avocado stoves on second hand sites, like Facebook Marketplace and LetGo for cheap.

• Lifestyles Homes

The contact points for the heating unit may be corroded.

Unplug the entire thing and spray with a suitable contact cleaner.

Avacado green is late 60’s, early 70’s.