Asked on Jun 21, 2020

Half Inch Round Holes in Subfloor. Pest?

Tom StuartAdrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little GnomeJohnavallance82
+10

There seems to be almost perfectly round roughly 1/2 inch holes in our plywood subfloor. We recently had the home sprayed for dry wood termites but based on everything I researched this doesn’t look like termites. Any ideas?

• Unique Creations By Anita

Is it not possible that the hole has always been there it was just filled. Movement in the floor has worked the repair loose. Just an idea. Insects are not normal considerate enough to eat our homes and still make it pretty. 🤣

• Jenn

Carpenter bees make perfectly round holes in wood. Do you have any of them flying around

• My guess is it's always been there. Carpenter bees leave a much smoother hole. I would check for any other holes that look the same, and if you find any, call you exterminator back.

• Cheryl A

I would think it was in the subflooring all along here is some idea on how to repair it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHZpC9Iq5Bk

Looks like the holes were there and patched which didn't hold.

• Dee

It could be carpenter ants. but it looks like the wood just may have been like this

• Cynthia H

Did the exterminator drill the holes? I would ask and also have them recheck so you know for sure. Good luck and stay safe!

• Tom Stuart

I think Cynthia has the right answer. The exterminators have to get to the termites so they drill holes to spray. Because this is a subfloor they just made a quick patch to block the hole. Check with your exterminator.

• Homeroad

Could it be carpenter bees? They make a perfect 1/2" hole.

• Johnavallance82

Hello there,

If the missing plaster is over the nail or screw fixings, then it has" popped" Should have been taped first before plastering. Use a spackle or general filler to fill the holes. Hope that helps.

• Could be carpenter ants?

• Tom Stuart