Create DIY Entryway Coat Hooks From a Cabinet Door!

$20

Welcome your guests in style with these simple DIY entryway coat hooks! Using an old cabinet door and some basic supplies, I created a stunning floral coat rack in no time. This project uses decals, one of my favorite DIY materials to work with. They are easy to use and never fail to deliver the look I’m going for. I wanted to go floral for my coat rack, but feel free to use whatever decals you like to get the vibe you’re looking for. Follow my step-by-step tutorial below to get started!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Cabinet door
  • 220 grit sandpaper
  • Tack cloth
  • 2 bricks
  • Fusion mineral paint
  • Paintbrush
  • Stencil
  • Flower decal
  • Hooks
  • Screws
  • Electric screwdriver

Prep the Door

Sand

I started out by lightly sanding it. This will remove any burrs that might be sticking up on the finish and smooth it out for painting. 

Wipe Clean

Then I wiped it off with a tack cloth to get rid of any dust or residue left behind from the sanding. 

Paint

Prop Up on Bricks

Before I started painting I propped up the board with a few bricks to make it easier for me to cleanly paint all of the edges. 

Tip:

Put the paint you’ll be using into a small container. That way, if you have to stop in the middle for any reason, you can just seal it up and come back to it later. 

Paint

I painted two coats of black paint onto my cabinet door and then let it dry for a full 24 hours. 

Stencil

Stencil

As this project will be living in an entryway, I decided to add a cute stenciled word to it. “Hello” perfectly fit the welcoming vibe I was going for. I stuck the stencil down in the center of the board, scraped on a layer of white paint, and then removed the stencil. This technique is super quick and easy.

Remove the Stencil

Add Decor Transfers

Cut Out the Transfers

Decor transfers are such a great product to work with and there are endless possibilities. What’s great about using these transfers is that you can just cut out the part that you want to use! I had a large sheet with a floral design, but I only wanted to use a few flowers, so I just cut them out. Decor transfers work well on most surfaces, so you really can use it for any project you like. I started by removing the protective backer sheet and laying my transfer in place. 

Press in Place

I pressed it down along the edges and started to rub the transfer tool over the sheet. I started with the spot where my cabinet had a bevel. You can see the transfer start to lift from the plastic sheet as you go. Don’t worry about it being perfect. If it cracks it’s easy to reposition it and cover it up.

Rub with the Tool

Tip:

If you’re working with a beveled corner, cut a slit to help you fold the transfer and fit it in place. It also helps to cut away the plastic backing as you go to make it easier to work with.

If a piece of the transfer flips over or doesn't end up where you want it, just maneuver it with your hands and then rub over it with the tool to secure it where you want it.

Burnish with Plastic

Once I had completed the transfer, I used the plastic backing to burnish the flowers a touch.

Lay Out the Decor

I repeated this process with another transfer on the other side of the cabinet door. After having trouble with the beveled corner on the first transfer, I decided to do this one a little differently. I cut in at an angle so that the transfer only went along one part of the corner and then transferred the image.

Marry the Edges

Then I married the next piece in the corner. It worked a charm! It made it much easier to work with and I didn’t have to deal with any buckling plastic along the way.

Burnish with Wax Paper

Make sure to burnish the transfers well with the wax paper backing before you move onto the next step.

Add Hooks

Measure

With my design complete I was ready to add some hooks. I measure out 5 evenly spaced spots for the hooks.

Drill Pilot Holes

Then I drilled pilot holes. Pilot holes are important to prevent the wood from splitting when you screw the hook in later. I carefully drilled two pilot holes for each hook, applying even pressure to the board and drilling slowly. 

Screw Hooks in Place

Then I screwed the hooks in and I was done!

DIY Entryway Coat Hooks

Floral Entryway Coat Hooks

Wouldn’t you love to hang your hat on this? This simple project has created a stylish place to hang coats and bags when you walk in the door. How would you decorate your coat rack? Let me know in the comments below!

31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer