Muskoka Chair Makeover

$15

Who doesn't love a Muskoka chair? To me these just scream summer and lazy days at the cottage or lake. We had the original hundred pound wooden ones, they were great but extremely heavy. Once they finally fell apart we opted for the new light weight plastic ones. Unfortunately they don't last long. I had a pair and for the past two summers had to replace one because it cracked. I refused to buy another one this year so this lonely one sat in my backyard. The color was driving me nuts as it was pretty boring so I decided to give it a makeover.

Original Muskoka Chair

So I decided to paint my chair. First step was to prep. Using my garden hose I rinsed it off then using warm soapy water washed it, rinsed again and let it dry.

Paint Time

So this is the paint I chose for my chair. If you seen my bicycle post you may recognize it as I used the same color. It's called Ocean mist. I placed a garbage bag on the ground so I wouldn't get paint all over the grass. Using light even strokes I started spraying the chair. Let dry, flip and do the other side.

New chair color

So this is the chair painted. This paint drys nice and even so I didn't need a second coat.

Stencil Time

So I purchased this stencil at Michaels for $8, it's quite large and great for outdoor projects.

Stencil Colors

So I decided to use a yellow and a Mandarin orange.

Appliing Stencil

Using painters tape center stencil to middle back of chair and secure in place with tape. I poured my two paint colors onto a disposable plate. I started with the orange on the outside working my way to the middle , blending two colors, then switching over to yellow.

Stencil Detailing

Here is what it looks like. You will have to go over several times. Let dry in between each coat. I used a round brush for this.

Finished Stencil

Once dry remove stencil. You can stop here, but I felt it was still lacking something so I went in search of more spray paint.

More Detailing

So I found this turquoise paint I had done my patio set in. Using painters tape I taped off the top of my chair and sprayed.

I love how this looked so I continued to tape off different sections of my chair and continued to spray on the turquoise.

Finished Result

Here is my chair complete. I love the added color.

This was a super easy project. Just required some paint and tape.

So glad I decided to keep the lonely chair. It sits under a very old large tree in my backyard facing my garden, a perfect spot to sit and relax!

31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas

• Thea

As a matter of interest what is the difference between a Muskoka and a Adirondack? I’ve only heard of the latter. (And still don’t know how to pronounce it).😅

• Sara

I have 3 of these chairs in hunter green and would love to paint them red and white. Did you have to prime it first? Did you seal them after painting them? How well does the paint wear?