Asked on Jun 21, 2020

How do i grow rose bushes?

Johnavallance82Joy ElizabethMorgan McBride
+11

Do you prefer to plant rose seeds or plant rose shrubs? anyone know a good place to buy rose shrubs wholesale

• I always plant a rose bush. Jackson & Perkins has some beautiful ones, although they are not wholesale. Here are some wholesalers:

https://www.weeksroses.com/

https://www.heirloomroses.com/info/wholesale/

• Aynot HaveNoregrets

Thank you so much

• Mogie

You should go to your local nursery and talk to them. They will know exactly what does best in your area.

• David Warren

Go to Lowes or Walmart and get them from the clearance rack. This is my first year planting roses. I got some that did not look the greatest for $3 and once they were in the ground and watered, they started blooming within days!

• Nan W.

Lowes has and amazing clearance section - with healthy plants!!

• I've always bought the Knock Out Roses and I get them at a local nursery when they have their 50% off sales mid-summer. Perhaps you could inquire at local nurseries to see when they have a sale.

• Cynthia H

Hi! Shop local! I like the big box stores, but, local greenhouses and garden supply stores are struggling right now. Not only will they be thrilled to get your business, but, they know what to recommend for your area, and will be able to help you with your specific needs. A mature plant that they can recommend will give you more bang for your buck. It might be fun to start one from seed, but, I never have. Good luck and stay safe!

Hi Aynot: I prefer to buy the shrubs. Some of the local nurseries have them on sale in the spring, but you can get them at home improvement stores, nurseries and sometimes you can find them for free on Trashnothing.com or Freecycle.org. Just type in your area to find a group near you. Free to join and free to get and give stuff. Very neat sites:) Take a good look at the type of roses you want. climbing, shrub, ones with loads of flowers (which you have to dead head or it looks ugly) and the colours you want. Lots to consider, but if you do your research, you will have a beautiful yard. Good luck

• Cindy

Hi Aynot. I prefer to plant shrubs. I like the convenience of planting a plant that is already established and not having to wait for a plant from seed. This year I bought my plants at Wal Mart. I have also bought them at Home Depot in years past.

• Vimarhonor

Hello I purchase shrubs at big box home improvement.

Trending towards knockouts over the past 10years

• Kathy Gunter Law

Rose bushes would be a much better way to go unless you have a long term plan and want to wait quite a while to see them grow.

As for buying wholesale, check with a co op or nursery. Many of them will offer large discounts if you are bulk purchasing.

• Morgan McBride

Definitely don't grow from a seed it would take forever

• Joy Elizabeth

Definitely go with shrubs. I like grandiflora and knockouts for how easy they are to care for. I normally wait until lowes has a clearance. But local nurseries have great sales as well. Often in the fall, you can get then 50 percent off or more.

• Johnavallance82

Hello Aynot,

You could try a Rose Grower?