DIY Canvas Art- Decor and Sentiment

6 materials
$50

Oh, I just love this new DIY canvas art. I love that it is so large in scale, and that it has our family members names engraved inside of it.

Materials you'll need:

Drywall Compound, Paint, Small Drywall Joint Knife, Large Canvas (36x48), Scouring Pads, Gloves, Wood, Paper Plate, Paint Stir Stick

diy canvas art decor and sentiment, Drywall Compound
Drywall Compound
Mix Some Compound and Paint

First you will need to try out the texture that you prefer, by putting some drywall compound on a plate and mixing some paint in.

diy canvas art decor and sentiment, Mix For Your Desired Texture
Mix For Your Desired Texture
diy canvas art decor and sentiment, Start Spreading Around
Start Spreading Around
Next, Spread the Compound

There is no Rhyme or Reason about this technique, I just used a drywall knife to spread the mixture around randomly.

diy canvas art decor and sentiment, Play Around With Texture
Play Around With Texture
Keep Adding More Compound

When I was spreading the compound, I was getting more of a gray colour and the compound was thinning out. I wanted it to be more 3D, and I wanted it to have more texture, so I just kept adding more compound and paint.

diy canvas art decor and sentiment, Create Texture With a Scouring Pad
Create Texture With a Scouring Pad
More Texture

Once the canvas was covered in compound and I liked the colour, I created a textured pattern using a scouring pad.

See the video below for how I did this.

diy canvas art decor and sentiment, Drywall Knife to Flatten
Drywall Knife to Flatten
Drywall Knife to Flatten

I used to drywall knife to flatten a design on the wet compound.

diy canvas art decor and sentiment, Flatter Texture to Create a Design
Flatter Texture to Create a Design
Create a Design

You could leave the drywall compound with scraped texture all around it, or you could use a drywall and naive to create a flat surface for added details.

diy canvas art decor and sentiment, Make it Sentimental
Make it Sentimental
Use a Toothpick To Write Names

This is where I got sentimental. I used to toothpick to carve out my name, and then my kids and husband did the same and put their names into the design. The nice thing about this is that it is so discreet and you can't see it unless you look. It'll now be a art and a family heirloom.

diy canvas art decor and sentiment, Paint The Sides
Paint The Sides
Finish Off the Edges

You may decide to paint the edges for a nice clean look, even if you are going to be framing it. You don't have to put a frame around it, I did because it adds a really nice look. But this would be fine with just painting the edges and hanging it on the wall.

diy canvas art decor and sentiment, Frame It
Frame It
Frame It For a Rich Look

I used 1x2 finished pine and then stained it.

diy canvas art decor and sentiment, Used the Mixture
Used the Mixture
Mixed Up Stains

I used my favorite mix of stains to create a rich brown look for the framing.

Hope you liked this easy, modern and unique art idea.

Questions on this post

Your question...

Comments

2 of 10 comments
Next