Address Sign

$60

I've always wanted an outdoor sign for my front porch that welcomed guests! However, I knew I wanted to change it with the seasons, and I wanted something different that the traditional "welcome" sign. So, I decided to DIY a sign, to make it exactly what I envisioned!

Materials, Part One

Find a piece of a wood that you love the size and shape of! I choose one with a live edge, so that it had some extra detail.

Materials, Part Two

You'll need chalkboard paint and brushes. I purchased both from Amazon.

Step One

Clean your piece of wood, and paint. Honestly, I didn't even sand this wood, which you can do for an added step. Even without sanding, the paint turned out perfectly. Follow paint instructions on can. I did one coat, and it sat for about 3 hours to dry.

Materials, Part Three

Purchase some chalkboard markers and any stencils you like!

Step Two

After tour wood is dried, add the details! I used lemon stencils to go with my front porch lemon themed decor. I painted one to two coats on with the markers, depending on how bright I wanted the lemon to look.

Step Three

Add some house numbers, and you're done! This simple project took hardly any time, and it's something I can redo for every season!

30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas

• Debbie

If this gets wet or even just damp from weather- does it take the chalk off?

• Great question about the weather! I'm honestly unsure! I have a large front porch, so it doesn't see much weather! However, dampness wise it has held up wonderfully! And, to reference the "ghosts," - I knew that was a huge possibility! I plan on just repainting the black chalkboard paint every season as well! It will keep it looking fresh and it's so quick and easy!

• Deborah Carasso

So no primer? Just clean with vinegar? Thank you.

• Kim Lunsford

I love this and want to try it but how did you preserve the wood so it won't rot?