Baby Saxifraga Plants

$1

As anyone who follows my posts has probably realised, most things I do have the goal of reducing waste, and hopefully cost. Good for the wallet often means good for the planet and this project is no exception. I love to give plants as gifts but I can't stand having to bring home the awful, cheap plastic pots from the garden centre. Cue growing your own!

This is the plant I've used this time. Growing baby plants is possible from many different plants but often the method of separating the baby plant from the parent plant differs.

This is what the plant looks like. All you'll need for this project is one of these plants, well established, a small plant pot and some compost.

If you look around the edges of the plant you'll see small versions of what makes up the bigger plant. Mini plants in their own right. If you get hold of one of those baby plants and pull upwards gently, as shown, it'll come up easily and with it's own roots.

This is what the baby plant will look like once it is separated from the parent plant. These will obviously vary depending on the size of the baby plant you pull up. The root size will vary too.

Fill your small pot with compost, make a hole in the compost with your finger and put the roots of the baby plant into the hole. Press down gently to firm the compost around the baby plant as shown.

Here is an example of a more established root system. As you can see in the photo this baby plant came up with another one attached.

Repeat making the hole with your finger and playing baby plants into the holes until you have as many baby plants as you wish to grow up (maybe a couple of spares in case not all of them are successful).

Once you've potted up as many as you want to grow, all you need to do is water it :-)

There you have it! When you've finished you should have something that looks vaguely like this. This pot probably could have held another 1 or 2 but this is all I needed and I like to leave plenty of space for growth (because I'm lazy and it means there's more time until I have to repot haha).

Easy peasy home made gift :-)

• Spanky

Is the plant a type of sedum?

• Spanky

Thank you. I love sedum and don't have any of this. Guess I'll be on the hunt.