DIY Shoe Rack

$75

Last year I transformed our back entry closet into a pantry. I love having the extra pantry space, however it did get rid of shoe storage. It wasn’t an issue, however now that it’s summer and we’re in and out, the shoes began to pile up.

I decided it was time to add a shoe rack, and so of course it meant a fun DIY project.

I had some scrap wood laying around. For the project I used:

(3) deck boards

1x2” for legs and side supports.

Measurements:

27.5” legs 

30” wide 

13” wide including black legs 

The first thing we did was nail together the leg frames.

Depending how you want it to look, you can leave a little extra on the top and bottom.

Next was adding in the middle support for the shoe rack pieces to sit on.

We then nailed on the planks where the shoes would sit.

To prevent the rack from shifting sideways and being super wobbly, we added a cross piece across the back.

I then primed the planks to prep for my ‘wood effect’ finish.

Next up was beige chalk paint.

Once the beige chalk paint was on, I painted the legs using Graphite color chalk paint.

I then applied Behr antique wax to create a driftwood look.

For more tips on the wood effect finish, check out my last project for all the steps :)

Last step was to seal up the shoe rack with a clear sealant. I used Jolie low lustre acrylic topcoat.

I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out. I love the contrast between the wood effect finish and the dark legs.

Would you try making this?

• Carolina

Looks great and so useful. But why did you paint the boards and then went back and did a faux wood look? why not just stain the boards and add a sealer?

• Ash | Dash Lifestyles

I love the look of the wood effect and the boards I had on hand already had a dark stain on the bottom. This allowed me to hide it and still get the look I wanted :)

• J

I solved the pile up stuff in front of storage problem at my house. I just hold one of the shoes or the other items hostage until the ransom is paid. Sometimes cash, sometimes an extra chore (my choice) done right at that time. Cured this mess right quickly.

• Flipturn

J -Good on you for taking charge of the situation rather than fighting a losing battle and being forced to live with an unnecessary mess.

Your idea is even more effective than what I was going to suggest- putting any shoes outside that are not set properly on a rack, as I know any first grader can be taught to do.

• Lynne

lovely job!! i need this, and thanks for the idea