Create a Topsy Turvy Planter Tower in Two Simple Steps

$15

Everyone has some random extra napkins lying around from past birthday parties and gatherings. Put them to use and decoupage with them! This topsy turvy planter is the perfect quick project that you can make using basic household items. All of your guests will be wondering how it stays upright without falling over! I’ll show you the trick to creating this fun, whimsical planter. Follow my step-by-step tutorial below to get started!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Terra cotta flower pots
  • Napkins
  • Mod Podge
  • Paintbrush
  • Metal pipe
  • Floral foam
  • Faux succulents

Decoupage the Pots

Remove the Backing

I searched my house high and low for any paper napkins I had. In the end, I settled on two to use for this project. Before I could decoupage, I needed to prep my napkins. I peeled off the back layer of the napkin and then cut it into strips. For my first flower pot I wanted to keep the terra cotta look for most of it, so I chose to just embellish the top strip. 

Add Mod Podge

I brushed a light coat of Mod Podge to the top of the pot and then glued the napkin strip into place.

Glue the Napkin On

Add Another Layer of Mod Podge

Once the napkin is in place, go over the top of it with another coat of Mod Podge. Don’t worry if the glue goes on white, it will dry clear. I continued gluing strips of napkins onto the top of the pot until I had completely covered it. 

Cut Out the Design

For the next pot I cut out a gold foil triangle from some napkins that I found in my home. 

Glue in Place

The application for this one is a bit different. I applied the glue directly to the back of the napkin and then pressed it into place.

Press in Place

Add Another Coat of Glue

Once I had finished gluing the napkins to the pot I went over the entire pot with Mod Podge to get an even sheen. Then I left them to completely dry. If you want to speed up the process a bit go ahead and use your blow dryer on the cool setting.

Assemble the Planter Tower

DIY Decoupaged Pots

For this next step you’ll need to grab a metal pipe or rod. 

Metal Pipe

I happened to have this one lying around from a broken umbrella and it worked perfectly! 

Add a Pot

Make sure that the rod is small enough to fit through the hole at the bottom of the pots. I filled a bigger pot with dirt to make sure that it was sturdy enough to hold the other three pots in place without tilting. Then I added a pot. You’ll see that it actually tilts itself to the side. 

Add Floral Foam

I added a floral foam brick to the pot and shoved it into place. It doesn’t need to be perfect as you won’t see it once you’re done, but make sure that it sits snugly so as not to move around too much. 

Insert Succulents

I inserted faux succulents into the floral foam. You really only need to fill half of the pot, as the other half will have the next planter sitting in it and covering it up. 

Repeat

Next I added another pot and repeated the process I had done with the previous pot. And I did the same with the last pot.

DIY Planter Tower

Easy DIY Planter Tower

And we’re done! It only took two steps to create a fun topsy turvy planter to add some whimsy to my sunporch! How would you decorate your own planter tower? Let me know in the comments below!

12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
Audrey Kuether