Update Your Light Switch Plates With This Simple Paint Pour Project

$10

Looking for a fun way to personalize your home? This paint pour project is the perfect solution if you’re feeling crafty but don’t want to commit to a long, arduous project. These custom light switch plates are sure to brighten your home. In this tutorial I’ll show you two different color schemes, one that is bright and loud, and another that is more subdued but no less stunning. An added bonus to this project is that you can get two projects in one, by making a paint pour canvas at the same time. Intrigued? Check out my step-by-step guide below to make your own!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Light switch plates
  • Canvas (this isn’t totally necessary, but it’s fun to get two projects in one with this paint pour)
  • Acrylic pouring paint
  • Small bowl
  • Cup

Prep the Paint

Prep the Paint

In order to do a proper paint pour, you need to mix the paint in a separate bowl beforehand. I poured various colors into a small bowl, pouring each color into the center of the last. 

Pour the Paint into the Bowl

I also propped my light switch plate up on a cup on top of a canvas. That way, the overflow can be used to create a paint pour picture on the canvas as well. Two projects for the price of one!

Pour the Paint

Pour the Paint

There is no specific technique that you need to do for this. I started by pouring in the center and working in a circular motion. 

Continue Pouring

Pour onto Canvas

Once I was happy with the design on my light switch plate, I poured the remaining paint directly onto my canvas.

Repeat

I repeated the process with some lighter colors on the other light switch plate. 

Tilt the Canvas

Tilt the Canvas

I lifted the light switch cover up carefully using the cup underneath it and then tilted the canvas a bit to spread out the paint.

Tilt Off Excess Paint

Tip:

If the paint is too thick on your canvas it will crack, so even if you are happy with the design, it’s still important to tilt it to remove excess paint.

DIY Paint Pour Canvas

Then I left everything to dry completely.

DIY Paint Pour Light Switch Plate

DIY Decorative Light Switch Plates

That’s all there is to it! I plan on hanging the canvases I made near their matching light switches for some fun homemade artwork. What colors would you use on this project? Let me know in the comments below!

30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
15 Memorial Day Crafts
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?

• Sylvia Graham

I love paint pouring I do this at our girls day out while sipping on Stella Rosa wine but I haven’t tried the light switch but I will do this. Excellent idea. Thanks 😊

• Darlene Ernst

OMG......I'm having such a huge V-8 moment, here!