Update Your Light Switch Plates With This Simple Paint Pour Project

$10

Looking for a fun way to personalize your home? This paint pour project is the perfect solution if you’re feeling crafty but don’t want to commit to a long, arduous project. These custom light switch plates are sure to brighten your home. In this tutorial I’ll show you two different color schemes, one that is bright and loud, and another that is more subdued but no less stunning. An added bonus to this project is that you can get two projects in one, by making a paint pour canvas at the same time. Intrigued? Check out my step-by-step guide below to make your own!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Light switch plates
  • Canvas (this isn’t totally necessary, but it’s fun to get two projects in one with this paint pour)
  • Acrylic pouring paint
  • Small bowl
  • Cup

Prep the Paint

Prep the Paint

In order to do a proper paint pour, you need to mix the paint in a separate bowl beforehand. I poured various colors into a small bowl, pouring each color into the center of the last. 

Pour the Paint into the Bowl

I also propped my light switch plate up on a cup on top of a canvas. That way, the overflow can be used to create a paint pour picture on the canvas as well. Two projects for the price of one!

Pour the Paint

Pour the Paint

There is no specific technique that you need to do for this. I started by pouring in the center and working in a circular motion. 

Continue Pouring

Pour onto Canvas

Once I was happy with the design on my light switch plate, I poured the remaining paint directly onto my canvas.

Repeat

I repeated the process with some lighter colors on the other light switch plate. 

Tilt the Canvas

Tilt the Canvas

I lifted the light switch cover up carefully using the cup underneath it and then tilted the canvas a bit to spread out the paint.

Tilt Off Excess Paint

Tip:

If the paint is too thick on your canvas it will crack, so even if you are happy with the design, it’s still important to tilt it to remove excess paint.

DIY Paint Pour Canvas

Then I left everything to dry completely.

DIY Paint Pour Light Switch Plate

DIY Decorative Light Switch Plates

That’s all there is to it! I plan on hanging the canvases I made near their matching light switches for some fun homemade artwork. What colors would you use on this project? Let me know in the comments below!

Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself