Revamp an Old Patio Umbrella With This DIY Painted Umbrella Makeover

$10

Often, household items past their prime end up in landfills and trash bins. This doesn’t have to be the case! I had a very old faded sun umbrella that was headed for the trash. While it was quite old, it was still in great shape, so I decided to spruce it up a bit for the summer! With a bit of paint, I was able to not only save this umbrella from the trash, I was also able to take it to the next level and brighten up my garden. Even better, this project only takes a bit of time and money to complete. Want to see how I did it? Follow my step-by-step tutorial below!

Tools and Materials:

• Patio umbrella
  • Dixie Belle chalk paint
  • Paintbrush
  • Chip brush
  • Spray bottle
  • Waterproof sealant 

Clean the Umbrella

Clean the Umbrella

Before I could start painting, I had to clean the umbrella fabric. I unscrewed the top cap, popped the end pieces off, and threw it in the washing machine. 

Remove the Umbrella

Most materials used in umbrellas can be machine washed, but if you prefer to clean it by hand you can do that as well. If you do use the washing machine, make sure not to use a fabric softener as it will add a coating to the material. 

Paint

Paint

I considered adding polka dots to my umbrella, but once I realized just how long it would take me I scrapped that idea. In the end I decided to add some stripes. 

Spray with Water

First I sprayed the fabric a bit to help the paint go on more smoothly.

Add a Stripe

Then I added a short stripe with a chip brush. I love how you can see the bristles on the very end of the stripe.

Add More Stripes

I added different colored short stripes to the umbrella. I used four colors, a white, pale yellow, faded pink, and a turquoise that was slightly darker than the color of the umbrella. Make sure to continue spraying the surface with water before you paint to help the paint go on more smoothly.

Work in Sections

I worked in sections, curving the edges as I went because the bottom is wider than the top. Once I had finished painting I let it fully dry before reattaching it to the umbrella.

Seal

Seal

While the umbrella fabric is waterproof, the paint is not, so once I had reassembled the umbrella I went ahead and sprayed it with a waterproof sealant. Now it is ready to be used in all seasons!

Patio Umbrella Makeover
DIY Patio Umbrella Makeover

This project saved my umbrella from the landfill, and I hope that it will help you too! It’s always fun to breathe new life into old items. How have you revamped things in your house? Let me know in the comments below!

30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Fiona Debell

• Sandra

Hi. That’s a great idea!!! I was going to put the umbrella in the garbage tomorrow!!! I will try to find the paint at Home Depot. If O can’t find it...which other paint would you recomend? Thanks 😊 🙏🏻

• Pat S.

Umbrella looks brand new. Your colors work well with each other. Nice job ! 😳

• Joyce Dean

Why Chalk Paint? I would have guessed Fabric Paint of some sort.

• Christine

You can use ANY paint, even plain old latex...If you use exterior vinyl acrylic paint, there's no need to seal it. I painted my beige umbrella with black stripes using exterior vinyl acrylic paint 4 summers ago and it's still holding up!

• Melinda Speaks Dagenhart

When was this project posted? If it’s been a while, let us see if the paint held up?