Asked on Jun 24, 2020

Electrician cut through wood beams?

OliviaNellBecky at Flipping the FlipAgnes Chrzanowska
+13

Hi,

I had an electrician come to run a wire for a microwave receptacle. It felt like he did a pretty sloppy job cutting multiple holes in the dry wall to get the job done. He also cut three wood beams complete to run the wire. Are those beams just furring to hold the dry wall or should I be concerned about this?

Thanks

• Annie

Hi those studs are to support the wall. Is that wall load bearing? If so, you do have a problem. Unfortunately.

Is it an interior wall? Because then it is "probably" ok. (not load bearing) You really should get a carpenter to look at it.

The electrician should have just used a drill to put a hole in each stud, large enough to run the wire through. Is this the same electrician who wired the house? This guy doesn't know what he is doing.

If the wall is load bearing, see if you can cut blocks to "refill" those empty spaces. But really, it would be worth paying for someone who actually knows what they are doing to take a look.

Hopefully we have carpenters here who can help you better. Sorry

• Jim

It’s a load bearing exterior wall. Those are cement blocks on the exterior of the wall. He was a licensed electrician and had great reviews but he did a real hack job in my opinion.

• Annie

He left you with a lot of patching to do as well. I wonder why he didn't just slice the drywall at the ceiling line so you could cut a new sheet to size and pop it in there.

• Jim

He patched it back up but it’s pretty poorly done. I will have to do a little finessing to get it right assuming this doesn’t unravel into a much bigger problem.

• Mogie

Have you contacted the electrician and asked them about this?

• Jim

I asked him while he was doing the job and he told me that wood is basically just to hold up the dry wall. That’s the finder block is for the load.

• Jan32065531

Is he licensed? If he is call and complain see if the will send out an inspecter.

• Annie

I just asked my son who is a licensed builder, he looked at your pic and said those studs are just furring for the drywall. The concrete blocks should be carrying the weight.

I hope this helps

• Jim

Thanks so much. I appreciate the reply.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

I think you’re safe - the load is likely carried by the concrete block wall vs the wood. I guess you have some drywall patching to do. Yuck!

• Gk

Sloppy unprofessional job.

He had to cut the large openings so he could cut the studs and fish the wire thru. He just made it convenient for himself. The beams/studs just hold the drywall. Nothing to worry about. He's an electrician not a drywall guy so his patch job would be sloppy 😂 Personally I would have cut smaller holes, located the studs with a stud finder then cut into them. Another option would be to cut holes in the cabinets where a patch job would be hidden.

• Kathy Gunter Law

First, I would contact him to correct this issue. There was no reason for this. He could have done it from the attic. He should be responsible for repairing your sheetrock and painting it. If he can't get a match, then he should paint the entire kitchen.

Second, I would report him on all fronts: BBB, social media, anywhere reviews are available.

Third, most importantly, it looks like that is on a wall of concrete blocks (a bit hard to tell in the photo). If so, you are "ok" on a support issue because it looks like those are there for the sheetrock, as you guessed in your post.

I agree, very sloppy job. Sorry you got such a bad contracting result.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

I would contact your electrician to correct that. Picture shows that he ran wire through beams

• The blocks are what’s holding your walls up and the wood is to support the drywall. I agree, it looks like it’s horrible and a mistake and he probably could have done it a little better but you should be fine. Don’t report him.

• OliviaNell

It looks like a quick hand job, I'm not an expert in this business, but here's an example of our local electrician's work: https://www.montgomeryelec.com/blog/, everything is very neat. Probably everyone has their own approach to work, but if I were you, I would contact him just in case again or with a new electrician