How to Make Easy Upcycled Fabric Hanging Planters.

$2

I love the current trend for hanging planters at the moment. It reminds me of my childhood, we always had loads of hanging plants in my home growing up. I just love to be surrounded by plants both real and faux. Recently I made some upcycled wall vases to hang on my wall, this time I wanted to make ones to hang from the ceiling and shelves.

Most hanging planters you see are made with macrame. I don't know how to macrame, I know it is probably quite easy to learn. However, I have worked out how to make macrame style hanging planters without having to learn to actually macrame. These planter hangers are so easy to make and can be made with denim, leather or other fabrics.

I made two of these hanging planters, one out of old leather and the other denim. I will show you how I made the leather one but the principle is virtually the same for the denim one. You can see the instructions for that on the blog (link at end of post).

You can use any old leather, I got mine from a discarded sofa but an old jacket or handbag would do. Faux leather will work just as well as real leather.

You also need a x acto knife and your leather or denim fabric. The piece of leather needs to be about 20cm in diameter. A tin can or similar sized plant pot. Denim seams (or rope) and a curtain ring. A hole punch and some eyelets.

The other thing you will need is to print of a paper pattern from the blog link at the end of the post.

First, place the pattern on the leather. Then using the x-acto knife cut out the leather. Only cut on the bold lines (ignore the small circles they are for the holes).

Then using a hole punch, punch holes in the leather where the small circles are marked on the paper.

If you have an eyelet tool add them to reinforce the holes. However, the planter will probably hold with out them. Then thread a denim seam or some rope into the holes.

You will have four seams attached in total. Secure the ends either with glue or a couple of stitches.

Attach the ends of the seams (or rope) to a curtain ring.

Then simply add plant. The clever way the leather has been cut makes it look like macrame. You can add a denim tassel for extra decoration (visit here for tutorial).

Don't forget to visit the blog to see how to make these hanging planters out of denim or other fabrics.

31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Samantha

Very cool! I’ve never seen this done before! Love it!

• Megan

I love this! I have been doing macrame for 50 years, this is a totally different concept. Plan on digging through my supplies today. Could even add a few wood beads to the denim strips. Thanks for sharing!