Create a DIY Succulent Planter in 3 Easy Steps With Decorative Tiles

$10

Got some leftover decorative tiles from a previous project? This decorative tile planter will make great use of them! Using just four tiles, or coasters if you prefer, I’ll show you how to create a simple planter that will add beauty and brightness to your outdoor space. I’m using decorative glass tiles, but you can really use any tile with any design you like. These decorative tile planters will add that pop of color you’ve been looking for, and it only takes three steps and five minutes of your time! What are you waiting for? Follow my step-by-step tutorial below to get started today!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Four decorative tiles (or coasters)
  • Pliers
  • Block of wood
  • E6000 adhesive
  • Clamps
  • Rocks
  • Soil
  • Succulents

Prep Your Materials

Prep Your Materials

The first thing I needed to do was prep my materials for the planter. Using a piece of scrap wood I cut a block that would serve as the base for my planter. This block needs to be the same width as the tiles, but not necessarily exactly the same size, so just go ahead and trace a tile onto the block and then cut along the lines, cutting in a bit on the other two sides. I like to leave a bit of a gap on two of the sides to provide some drainage for the plants. 

Remove Rubber Feet

I also removed the rubber feet that were on my tiles with pliers.

Glue the Tiles Together

Glue the Tiles to the Block

I added a line of glue to either side of the block and glued the tiles in place. E6000 is a super strong glue, so make sure to work on a piece of paper so that it’s easy to remove it if some glue gets on it.

Press in Place

Add Glue

Then I added a line of glue to either side of the other two tiles and set them in place. 

Glue the Tiles Together

Clamp

If you have a clamp I would absolutely suggest using them to make sure that the glue dries securely. If you don’t have clamps you can get a similar effect by pushing some heavy books up against the tiles. 

Add a Plant

Drainage Holes

Even though I left some room on either side for drainage, I always like to add some rocks as well to help with it even more. 

Add Rocks

Add Soil

Once I had added the rocks I filled it with a bit of dirt.

Add Succulents

Then I planted succulents in the planter, gave it a bit of water, and I was done!

DIY Succulent Planter

Easy as one, two, three! Now I have two beautiful planters to decorate my outdoor space! What color scheme would you go for? Let me know in the comments below!

26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
Sarah Vanderkooy

• Ali Harp

What locations have open lobby in the Dearbrn and Dearborn heights area

• Beverly

yes, very much. Terrific looking

• Cool, I was needing new succulent planters, and I have lots of leftover tiles, thank you for sharing. It's a good idea for grandkids to make them for moms on mothers day etc.