Yoga Mat and Nail Polish Lampshade

$4

I found a damaged lamp shade and yoga mat at a garage sale and was inspired to use the yoga mat to spiff up the damaged lamp shade.

I love unexpected craft supplies! Who would think this classy lamp shade used to be a bamboo yoga mat?

Garage sale finds! The lampshade needed to be repaired but when I picked up the yoga mat I thought...don't repair.....cover it!

The first step was really easy, just wrap the lampshade with the yoga mat and secure it with a nice bead of hot glue. Then I trimmed the excess width of it after the hot glue was cool.

I took scissors and trimmed the bottom to be flush with the lamp shade. It was very easy to cut with some scissors.

To finish my makeover I wanted to add some pizzazz. I could have used acrylic paint but I like the instant gratification of nail polish. Most of my nail polish dries in one minute. So I applied strips of painters tape around the whole lamp shade.

I always have a supply of fingercots because I like to paint with my fingers. I used my finger to smooth on complimentary colors of nail polish. After a few minutes I could remove the painters tape to reveal fun colorful stripes and my makeover was complete!

Patty Thurlby

• Cathy Magan

GREAT idea!! What a gorgeous upscale lamp shade w/ the bamboo yoga mat. I bet the rubber yoga mats would look so cool too & even easier to cut. Thanks for this LOVELY & EASY idea!

• Ticia

Very clever but I wonder if each time you light the lamp, is there a nail polish smell?

• Bridget Imwalle

WOW...I simply LOVE this...you are very creative...thank you for sharing your idea...it's fun, inexpensive and lovely!

• Patty Thurlby

The joy of going to garage sales is you never know what you will find....plus sometimes inspiration hits!