Modern Slat Window Planter

$50

As we've worked to transform the front of our home, we decided we wanted to add a window box. After doing a fair amount of searching, we realized there wasn't anything out there that fit our style. So, we designed and created this modern slat planter that extends all the way to the ground and fits well with the other updates we've done. It doesn't cost much and can easily be completed in a few hours.

Build Frame

I started by building the frame for the planter. I used pressure treated 2x4s and made the box the width of our window and 6 inches deep.

Attach to House

After building the square box, I cut 4 pieces of 2x4 to run from the frame box all the way to the ground. Before cutting the pieces, I dug out the loose dirt beneath the box and tamped down the ground. I then measured and cut the four side boards and added another 2x4 to connect the supports on the bottom. I used lag bolts to connect the top of the box to our house, right below the window.

Build Box Sides

My next step was to complete the planter area of the box that will eventually hold the dirt. I added a second row of 2x4s on each of the four sides at the top of the box, leaving a small gap for drainage.

Build Box Bottom

Then, I put two 2x4s side by side underneath those top two rows to make the bottom of the box - once again leaving small gaps between the boards for drainage.

Add Slats

Next, I added 1x4 cedar tone boards around the outside of the box to give it the slat look. I used pencils for spacers between the boards and mitered the front corners.

Add Landscape Fabric

I added two layers of landscape fabric to the inside of the box to hold the dirt.

Add Plants and Enjoy!

We're pretty happy with how the planter turned out.

It gives us the modern look we wanted.

One step closer to the curb appeal we're working towards! Follow me on Instagram at      @woodyworking for more simple woodworking DIY or home improvement projects, and share your photos with me. Happy building!

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
15 Memorial Day Crafts

• Cynthia Shapiro

I really like this but I do think that a little balance is needed. What if you Mateo more for the windows on the other side? Don’t worry about the negativity of others.

• Delayne

I LOVE THIS IDEA! We live in Ohio and winters are a mess. If we attempt this should I paint or seal the wood to protect it from the winter weather?

• If you don't use pressure treated wood, you'll have to seal it. We used treated 2x4s for the frame and treated cedar tone boards for the slats, so we didn't have to. They are a bit more expensive, but allow you to skip that step. The cedar tone boards hold up really well and don't lose color fast. We've used them for a few other outdoor projects over the years and are really happy with them.

• Anna Ibarra

That looks fabulous! And you can even decorate the front box with a simple iron scroll etc., if that fit anyone’s style, for holidays, or paint. I love it natural and just simple as you have it. 👌🏼

• Tonya

Awesome idea!!! I love flower boxes!!! I want some exactly like these! I'm Green with envy!!! tfs