Elevated Raised Garden Bed

$110

Why elevated raised garden bed?

1. It’s cheaper than store-bought.

2. It’s more comfortable to tend to (no need to bend over and hurt your back)

3. It looks so esthetically pleasing.

4. It might protect from small animals (let’s see if it will protect the garden from squirrels- would love to hear your ideas in the comments)

Find a detailed tutorial on my blog.

Cut wood

Cut wood according to instructions from my website or YouTube video.

Make the frame

Attach 2x10s together to create a frame.

Make legs

Make legs for the frame by attaching together 2x6 and 2x4.

Attach 2x2 in the bottom.

Attach 2x2 in the bottom to create support for the bottom of the garden bed and lay down 2x6s for flooring.

Make the grid

The store I went to didn’t carry lattice so I had to improvise. I used 1x2x8 to make dividers and just screws to connect them.

Add soil.

I ran into a problem of uneven ground. Our backyard doesn’t have much of even space and wherever it’s even, it’s in the shade most of the time.

I had to dig 2 holes for back legs and elevate the front legs.

When it was super stable it was time to add soil.

Time to grow your veggies!

For more detailed instructions visit http://ifonlyapril.com or a video version on YouTube channel.

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Everything Red For Canada Day
15 Perfectly Round Tables
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
April

• JanineDucie

Great Job, but what about drainage.

Surely eventually the water will affect the wood?

Apologies if this is a silly question, I am DIY challenged!

• April

Thank you, Janice!

it’s a very valid concern!

when I lined up the bottom with wooden planks, I left about 1/4 of an inch in between. I put on top the fiberglass screening so the dirt doesn’t fall out.

I’m not sure how long the garden will last, since I made it with pressure treated wood. But my estimate would be around 5-10 years. If you are looking for something more durable, cedar would be a better option, but it also more expensive!

I have more details on my blog, just wrote a summary of the blog here. So if you are interested in more details, visit my blog :) or google “if only april raised garden bed”.

I hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions!:)

• Donna Rolstad Zimmer

Was any type of liner used or was dirt for plantings placed directly on the wood?

• April

I'm growing tomatoes, cucumbers, already harvested radishes, lettuce, spinach and a lot of herbs. Carrots are still in the developing stage :D

It's about 8 inches deep so there are still plenty of root vegetables to grow.

• Em

What is the reason for the lattice?

• April

Hi Em,

I made my garden based on Mel's Bartholomew book "Square Foot Gardening". It's a wonderful resource for anyone who wants to start a garden. He goes in a lot of detail why it's easier and more efficient to divide your garden in little squares using lattice. You can read in more detail in his book, but in summary it's easier to attend to, it's more efficient (you replant it as you go and the crop is ready), and I think it looks just amazing :)

• Stacy Gray

Hi Cyndee. I've turned my deck into a tropical oasis and the squirrels love to come and dig up my planters! I've been using pelleted hen manure sprinkled on top of the soil. They hate the smell and leave my plants alone! Plus, my plants get a boost of fertilizer!

• April

Oh Stacy! I feel your pain! Squirrels has been visiting my garden non stop in the beginning. I put a hat on top of tomato cage and it seems to scare them off😅

Thats such a great tip though! Where did you get pen manure?

• Stacy Gray

I meant to address my comment to April, lol! Sorry Cyndee!😆