DIY Dollar Tree Dress Form

$3

For my craft today I am sharing a Dollar Tree craft. I am still working in my craft room creating things to style for my sewing station. I have seen a couple bloggers tutorials who inspired me to make a Dollar Tree mesh basket dress form.

I really thought this would be harder than it was, honestly it only took about 30 minutes to form the shape. I was amazed how easy it was to bend and form the Dollar Tree basket.

Before you click off this craft because you are thinking you don't need anything like this, you might just have fun watching me shape a mesh trash can into a dress form. Just maybe! :)

Here are the items I used:

• 2 mesh Dollar Tree trash cans
  • a package of Dollar Tree zip ties
  • wire snips
  • material to dress your form
Making the dress form
  • Taking some wire snips I took one of the mesh trash cans snipping off the rim, only half of the basket.
  • Moving to the other half where the rim is still attached, I bent the center of the rim into a V. It will bend with some effort.
  • I started to form a waistline by squeezing the lower part of the basket. Wish I could do this to my waistline to form a shape. ha!
  • To form the bust-line. I took my snips and bent the mesh right under the V. Then I took my fingers inside the basket on each side of the V and push out.

This is what the top view looks like.

• Going back to the part where I snipped the mesh from the rim. I bent the rim down inside the basket. I took the mesh and bent it over the rim to shape a curvature dip for the back of the form. Using my snips to make sure all the mesh is bent over the rim.

The top part of my dress form is completed.

Now to work on the bottom part.

• I took the other mesh trash can turning it upside down. I formed the same size waistline as the top portion.
  • To connect the top to the bottom basket I took 4 zip ties.
  • On the mesh can there is a place where the mesh connects, I made sure to line the part up with both cans.
  • I thread the zip tie through both baskets and secured it tightly.

This is what my dress form looks like now.

I took two Dollar Tree doilies, hot gluing them to the top form. I added a couple of lace buttons down the front with hot glue.

The two doilies were not large enough to fit all the way around the form. I cut some lace ribbon and made bows to mimic a tied back panel.

For the bottom, I took a piece of fabric, tulle and a couple of Dollar Tree doilies and made a skirt panel to pinned around the waistline. I made a belt and fabric rosette to decorate the waist.

I sat my dress form on an wrought iron candle stand.

For the full tutorial you can check it out on my blog.

Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Decorate and More with Tip

• Imogene
    Imogene

Love that!! Thanks for sharing.

• Sue
    Sue

Now THIS is awesome. Especially since I don't see the other sites that someone mentioned had it shown so I think this is so pretty. When I think about it I am sure there are other uses for this, too. THANK YOU!