How do I make tuscan red a deeper colour and not so purpley?

+10

I have the Plaid folk art chalk paint in tuscan red and find it to be too much of a purple color. I would like more of a burgundy color. Is there anything I can do to achieve a deeper richer color without buying more paint?

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on Jun 26, 2020

You could try adding a bit of black.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Jun 26, 2020

Hi! I mix colors all the time. My best advice is to take small containers, like yogurt jars, and I always start with a small amount added, like one tablespoon of the color I want to change, with a teaspoon of the added color. White and black are easy to mix in, but lighter and darker shades of the same color can make a great mix, too. For example burgundy, a dark red. Keep track of the ratios you are mixing so that you can make more if you need it. Good luck and stay safe!

• Patty Patty on Jun 26, 2020

It helps to understand the color wheel. The complementary color to red is green. If you have some green, stir a bit in. See if you like it. Go very slowly, tiny bit at a time and let it dry before adding more.

• Gk Gk on Jun 26, 2020

I would try a bit of black paint. Try to use black or charcoal gray chalk paint if you can.

• Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on Jun 26, 2020

Maybe try adding some dark brown or black

• Maura White Maura White on Jun 26, 2020

You want red but its too much purple. Blue plus red = purple, so it seems there is too much blue in it. Try adding a bit of brighter red to see if you get the shade you want.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Jun 26, 2020

Hello I would suggest adding more red to dilute the blue untertone dominance.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jun 27, 2020

What type of item are you painting? What color is it? This will effect what the final color will look like when the item is dry.

• Rita Rita on Jun 27, 2020

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try mixing small amount of different colours until I get what I like. It is just a small entry table that won't take much paint.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Jun 30, 2020

Put a touch of blue

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jul 01, 2020

Hello Rita,

Add orange or yellow and black to taste. Have fun!

• If you have other paints on hand, you can try mixing in a little bit of yellow to counteract the purple.