New Life for an Old Table

$30

I had this 2 tiered table hanging around. The bottom was wood but I didn’t like the Formica top and wondered how I was going to paint it and not have the paint possibly get scrapped or knicked. Then, through Hometalk, I received a product I had seen on another project called Retique It. It claimed to cover anything, like the Formica top on this table, and make it paintable. I was really excited to try it.

The table!

Here is the table before I started to transform it.

Those legs!

I just loved the look of these legs. Reminded me of Mid-Century style. Is that the right style?

Then I painted the legs a gray color. It really brought out the dimensions of the legs.

Oops🤪

I always go and do a once over where I have painted. Because . . . there are usually drips somewhere.

Here goes!

I started painting the top with the Retique it.

Here is what I used.

I love this tool!

Then I took the tool and made it look like a wood grain.

Ok, I liked it, but I didn’t like the gray bottom with the brown top. You will see what I did in a second.

The design

I tried to make a design that mimicked the design in the legs. So I went to my Cricut Design Space program and began playing with shapes and sizes.

I used a gray scrapbooking paper that matched the paint and cut out the pieces to play around with the design.

Then, I took stencil vinyl and used my Cricut to cut out the design. Have you noticed the table top looks different ? What I did was added another very light coat of Retique It. I liked the look and you can still see a faint woodgrain even though it doesn’t show very well in this picture.

I stenciled on the paint using the same gray that I used on the bottom.

And Voila, here is the result.

I love it!
And it’s home!

It turned out basically the way I envisioned it.

In the end, my whole goal was to try to the Retique It product. I really did like it and it adhered like it said it would. I can’t wait to try it on another project.

16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful

• Lisa West
    Lisa West

Looks great and so lovely. I can't wait for you to do the next project and share it. Great job. Thank you for sharing.

• Celine
    Celine

Very cool.like it very much