Asked on Jun 26, 2020

How do i clean rusty metal?

Johnavallance82Deb KBecky at Flipping the Flip
+11

• Dee
    Dee

Use navel jelly or Rustoleum rust remover.

• Gk
    Gk

Hello Monica! Here's a few different ways you can do it!

https://wd40.co.uk/tips-and-tricks/how-to-remove-rust

William

Vinegar soak, WD40 and green kitchen scrubby

• Mogie
    Mogie

You can use sandpaper, either by hand or with a sander, to remove rust or you can also use a wire-brush to remove rust. They also sell a lot of chemicals you can use to remove rust from metal but be sure and follow the directions and use protection for your eyes and skin if you go this route. I have also heard that plain old white vinegar will remove rust from metal, although I haven't tried that one myself. If you are going to paint, you may want to use a primer first, which will help your paint adhere better and then follow it up with your paint and a protective top-coat.

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Hi! I find a wire brush, a sander, and coke soda is often all you need. When I was redoing a cast iron sink, I found out WD40 is also great for removing rust, especially in nooks and crannies. Once you have removed the rust and it is dry and clean, be sure to protect the metal. Personally, I prefer Rustoleum products for metal. Good luck and stay safe!

Betsy

Hey Monica: Check this site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjvgPJ0coo4 You just have to get past the creepy guy at the beginning :) Good luck

• Joy Elizabeth
    Joy Elizabeth

I clean rust with a wire scrub brush, use a paint on top that is formulated for metal with some rust.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom
    Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

There are lots of ideas here:

https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=clean%20rusty%20metal

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide
    Lauren of Mom Home Guide

You could clean it with a wire brush and then try spray painting it.

• Kmdreamer
    Kmdreamer

Get your self some brasso cleaner it’s a cream it’s great

• What's the rusty metal on? It kind of depends what the piece is made of. You can try brushing the rust off with a wire brush, seal the rust with a rust converter, then paint over it.

• Deb K
    Deb K

Hi Monica, hope this helps you,

Method: Rinse the metal item and shake dry. Dust with baking soda (it will stick to the damp areas), making sure to cover all rusty areas. Leave the item for an hour or so, then scour with steel wool or a metal brush, removing the rust down to the metal. (If cleaning a pan, use a scouring pad.)

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Monica,

WD-40 will get rid of surface rust, Barkeepers friend and water or Brillo (Soap Wire Wool.