Sherrie S
Sherrie S
  • Debary, FL

Plant Identification Please

QueeniecdaAnnie DohertySherrie S
+4

The last time a plant looked like this Douglas Hunt knew it was a candelabra plant - I thought it was a weed. Before I destroy this plant I'd like an ID. I do appreciate all the help I get on Hometalk.
Thought it might be a weed.  A lot of wild stuff grows in this bed.
Thought it might be a weed. A lot of wild stuff grows in this bed.
close up
close up
  • Walter Reeves

Looks to be a sesbania of some sort...it's kin to the cassia (candelabra plant)

• Sherrie S

Walter Reeves, I hope it is. The candelabra is pretty. Glad I didn't yank it out.

• Sherrie S

Walter, that plant grew several feet since I posted in July. I moved it to the backyard and it continuted to grow. It is now about 8' high with yellow flowers and looks kinda cute but I think I want to stop it before it gets bigger. Sesbania herbacea - Coffeeweed is what I think it may be. YIKES, I've had to murder a number of plants this year that became abusive. Example: 2 versions of Mimosa - cute but overwhelming.

• Sherrie S

Chinese Rattlebox is another name of a bad plant that looks like mine. I had to see the flowers to know it is time to remove it.

• Annie Doherty

Sherrie i've found that planting in the original pot into the ground will ensure that it doesn't become a thug and take over, my Granddad was a real old style gardner and done this with all his figs. Just for future reference it does work, good luck.

• Queeniecda

While visiting my in laws, came across this same plant myself. I was in intrigued with the foliage + the mini looking orchid like flower! Seed pods a plenty.. Took a picture, being that we are pretty good gardeners & green thumbs. Did some investing on the Web & discovered this plant is called, "Partridge Pea". It's an annual & it reseeds itself....

• Sherrie S

Thank you Queeniecda428. I think Walter Reeves is correct. The flowers are not small and the plant grows very, very fast.