How to Fill a Whiskey Barrel With Flowers - Level Up

$30

Last month, I made a whiskey barrel planter with birdhouse accents. I wanted to change things up a bit and I had been buying lots of flowers lately so why not “level up” my planter?

Here is the birdhouse planter

I still like it and will continue to use them again. But for now I wanted something different.

First, I dissembled the posts.

I unscrewed the posts from the base in the planter.

I removed one post.

I decided to go from 3 staggered posts to two even posts.

Even steven

With two posts now, I attached the post that I moved into its new location.

I added some additional support

I used some scrap fencing to the front and back of the post to give some extra support.

Stapled a coco liner into place.

I stapled a long coco liner into the front of the planter. I have a long planter of geraniums that I am transferring to this liner. I also added plant brackets to the posts.

I decided to add galvanized tubs to the top of each post. One is upright and one is tipped on its side so the flowers can spill out. I screwed them directly into the top of each post.

I added an empty jug to take up space and use less potting mix. I ended up smooshing it down to take up a little less space.

Drainage Holes

I added drainage holes to the tub that sits upright. The one that is tipped on its side, I felt will naturally drain.

I added an adjustable coco liner to the tub that is sitting on its side.

I used zip ties to overlay two areas and I used zip ties to gather two areas and it created a type of pocket for my plants. The zip ties were easy to poke through the coco liner, I started with the pointed end. It was similar to sewing.

Once the plants/flowers are added, you won’t see the zip ties.

I added the flowers outside of the tub and just lifted it and placed it inside the tub.

Here is the finished project. I absolutely love it.

What do you think? I might add “Welcome” in vinyl to the upright tub but I’m really happy with how it turned out.

The birdhouses are still loved and have a new home on my potting bench. You can find the potting bench tutorial here.... https://www.hometalk.com/44266639/how-to-build-a-potting-bench

A quick 1 minute 17 second video that shows how I changed the posts, added a hanging plant bracket and added the coco liner in front.

25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen