How to Fill a Whiskey Barrel With Flowers - Level Up

$30

Last month, I made a whiskey barrel planter with birdhouse accents. I wanted to change things up a bit and I had been buying lots of flowers lately so why not “level up” my planter?

Here is the birdhouse planter

I still like it and will continue to use them again. But for now I wanted something different.

First, I dissembled the posts.

I unscrewed the posts from the base in the planter.

I removed one post.

I decided to go from 3 staggered posts to two even posts.

Even steven

With two posts now, I attached the post that I moved into its new location.

I added some additional support

I used some scrap fencing to the front and back of the post to give some extra support.

Stapled a coco liner into place.

I stapled a long coco liner into the front of the planter. I have a long planter of geraniums that I am transferring to this liner. I also added plant brackets to the posts.

I decided to add galvanized tubs to the top of each post. One is upright and one is tipped on its side so the flowers can spill out. I screwed them directly into the top of each post.

I added an empty jug to take up space and use less potting mix. I ended up smooshing it down to take up a little less space.

Drainage Holes

I added drainage holes to the tub that sits upright. The one that is tipped on its side, I felt will naturally drain.

I added an adjustable coco liner to the tub that is sitting on its side.

I used zip ties to overlay two areas and I used zip ties to gather two areas and it created a type of pocket for my plants. The zip ties were easy to poke through the coco liner, I started with the pointed end. It was similar to sewing.

Once the plants/flowers are added, you won’t see the zip ties.

I added the flowers outside of the tub and just lifted it and placed it inside the tub.

Here is the finished project. I absolutely love it.

What do you think? I might add “Welcome” in vinyl to the upright tub but I’m really happy with how it turned out.

The birdhouses are still loved and have a new home on my potting bench. You can find the potting bench tutorial here.... https://www.hometalk.com/44266639/how-to-build-a-potting-bench

A quick 1 minute 17 second video that shows how I changed the posts, added a hanging plant bracket and added the coco liner in front.