Asked on Jun 29, 2020

How to super clean inside of vintage tea kettle?

Johnavallance82Agnes ChrzanowskaMaura White
+12

I scored a bunch of copper bottom Revereware including a really dirty tea kettle. For the inside I boiled a bit of soap with full kettle of water for 10 mins. Now I’m going to use vinegar-water next boiling run. How much vinegar? What ratio? Should I add some salt too?

It’s still grungy. Toothbrush & paste?

• Flipturn

This is a kettle for boiling water only. Hopefully it has not been used to heat up soup in, or to brew tea in. (gasp, horror!)

Is the inside grungy just from mineral water buildup, and never being cleaned properly, or do you think that there is rust as well?

Also, do you know if the bottom seam is still intact, and that it does not leak?

• Flipturn

Indeed, Revere Ware is stainless steel with copper-clad bottoms. I have seen pieces of vintage Revere Ware that has developed rust not from the stainless steel or copper, but from a combination of severe build up of water minerals and dirt.

'Good to hear that your kettle does not leak as this means it has not been damaged. You should be good to go with any of the cleaning tips suggested here.

Here's an original 1956 advert for Revere Ware from McCalls magazine. Interesting about the prices.......

• K. Rupp

Yeah you don't want to use it if it is rusty. But you could definitely boil vinegar water in it for cleaning. I would just eye it up. I don't think measurement for cleaning with vinegar is that critical. Sure you can use salt water too. I would do 2 separate cleaning boils. You can even boil with dish soap too...I do that one all the time.

• All you need to do is fill it with vinegar, heat it up, and then pour it out. When you pour it out, the vinegar will be blue from the copper oxidizing

• Just fill with vinegar and let it boil! Good luck!

• Janice

You're welll on your way since you've done the soap & water routine, just use white vinegar and water (maybe just half & half) and bing to a boil, let sit till cool and rinse, rinse, rinse. You could do this every 5-6 monts and be ine with any future scales or deposits. My family had one of those kettles, wich I still had it!

• Maura White

I agree - just pure vinegar!

• Agnes Chrzanowska

I boil vinegar and mine and all comes out beautifuly

• Johnavallance82

Hello there,

You can buy kettle descaler from the grocery store, along with a mesh ball to put in the kettle too. Best wishes