DIY French Mattress Cushion - Window Bench Cushion

$180

I have never put off a project as I have with this French mattress cushion. When I convinced my husband to make a window bench in our master bedroom a long time ago, I knew I wanted a french mattress style cushion. I searched online, and I found a couple of vendors that confirmed my suspicion; french mattress style cushions are pricy. My window bench has an odd shape, so I would need a custom order a cushion, which means it’ll be more expensive. Being a crafty person, I checked some DIY videos and blogs about making a french mattress, and it didn’t seem so difficult. I started working on the cushion just as soon as we finished making the window bench, but my work wasn’t complete until now. I was intimidated by the size of the project, and I procrastinated, not wanting to commit to the level of effort. Read more...

DIY French Mattress Cushion

WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO to learn how I made this French mattres cushion for my window bench. You could always just follow this step-by-step guide too.

Cut the upholstery foam

Cut the foam to the dimemsion of your window bench. My husband helped me to cut the foam using an electric knife, it works great.

Cover the foam with the batting

I used Gorrila spray glue to attach the batting to the foam.

Cut the fabric and sew the casing

I used canvas drop cloths as the fabric; the main reason was that I didn’t want to spend too much money on expensive material that I may ruin. Plus, I like the look of canvas, and it is super husband/pet friendly.

Mark the tufts (front and back)

Now you need to decide what tufting pattern you want to use.

Plan the spacing based on your cushion. 

I'm using a diamond pattern.

Use a embrodery needle and thread

French Mattress Edges

I'm going to show how to form the edges of the french mattress. 

Insert the needle in the side point and pull it out in the top point.

Sink it back in the cushion

Move the needle about 1/4 in and sink it back in the cushion , pull it out from a spot close to the start point about 1/4" away.  

Pull it out

Make a slip knot

Made a loose knot with the thread that has the needle and stick the left end of the thread through the loop. 

Pull the thread on the left side until you see the edges forming

Pull the thread on the left side until you see the edges forming. 

To secure the shape, make 2 to 3 knots. 

Now pass the ends of the thread back to the needle

sink the needle back to the cushion

Sink the needle back to the cushion coming out to the top, somewhere close to the top point.

Trim the thread

Pull it tight, and trim the thread, the ends are going to disappear inside the cushion.

Tuft the top and bottom

The process of making the tufts in the top and bottom is the same. I show you for the edges, but you'll need to use an upholstery needle. 

Done :)

I hope you like this tutorial, and if you have any questions, let them in the comment section. don't forget to visit my blog avantimorocha.com

Don't forget to follow me on my social media.

15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home

To see more: https://avantimorocha.com/diy-french-mattress-cushion/