Fantastic DIY Playground

$350

Have you been stuck at home with kids who have a lot of energy and need to release it somehow? Well, if you build this playground I promise your kids will have so much fun!

Find full tutorial with FREE plans on my blog.

Build the base

The easiest way to start making the base is to lay down two 4x4s and attach 2×6 to it. Make sure to level everything.

Build the base for second floor

When the bottom “box” is done, It’s time to build the base for the second floor. Let’s call it “upper box”.

Add a 2x4x8 in the middle of the side where you plan to have a climbing wall. 

Make the first floor

Measure the distance inside the box and cut a 2×6”, making 2 joists for the floor. 

Line up flooring using 1×4” (1×6” would also be a good option but they were more expensive). I used 7 of them, cut in half (48” each) – 14 total.

Make second floor

Make second floor the same way you did the bottom one

Build a climbing wall

Cut your 2×4”x8’ in half and attach to the playground structure with 3” deck screws.

Build a ladder

Measure the length of the ladder and the angle it will go at. I went an easy route and made my ladder under a 45-degree angle. On the miter saw, I made a 45 degree cut on the top and on the bottom and attached it to the structure.

Make rails on top

To finish off this project, you need to make the rail on the top. I used 2x2s and 2x4s, just for aesthetic purposes. To make the spacing between rows even, I used a 2×4″ block to help me keep it even. 

Sand it and paint it

Or leave it bare if you like. I loved the colors and wanted to make it very colorful. I wrote a blog about how I painted the whole structure in rainbow colors and what was my inspiration.

Create a climbing route

My husband designed a climbing route, based on our daughter's skills and age.

FREE plans are on my blog. If you decide to make one, please, let me know! I'll be so proud for you and happy for your kids!

April

• Cindy Rubin

Where did you get the blue cushion landing pad?

• April

Hi Cindy, I was trying to post a comment in the morning but error occurred.

yes, we got it on amazon. It’s a crash pad for gymnastic. We love ours!

• Bobbi Perreault

Hi, very fun looking! What kind of anchors did you use to pin this to the ground so it doesn't tip when larger people climb it? My kids are heavy.

• Flipturn

You're most welcome.

'Happy to share what I have learned from personal experience.

It is so nice to see efforts going into creating opportunities for kids to get fun exercise outdoors.

• Alex Gaglia

Could you use peg board for the climbing wall side so the handholds could be moved as skill improves or changed for different routes?

• April

I wouldn’t trust a pegboard since it’s so thin. What I’m planning to do for different routes is simply drill more holes and move when needed. But pegboard I don’t think would work. Even the holes on pegboard are way smaller than the bolts that used for climbing rocks.