Big Update for a Small Table

$12

I got this small side table for about $10 at a local thrift store. I thought it was really cute but a little plain and very wobbly. I just needed to fix the wobbliness and give it a whole new look with some paint.

Original table

Here is where I started. A small cute side table, but just a little bit plain.

Remove legs and sand

The legs were attached with wooden pegs and wood glue so the only way to remove them was to cut them off. I simply used a jigsaw and cut all three legs away from the table and bottom shelf. Once the table was all separated into pieces I gave every piece a good sanding.

Paint

I wanted to give the table top and table shelf a stone-ish/ granite-ish look, so I started off with a natural gray color. I like to buy paint from hardware stores mistinted section so I actually got this color paint in a full gallon for $9. A good tip for finding decent paint at a cheaper price is to check out Lowe's or Home Depot and ask for their mistinted paint and you'll find quality paint for a cheaper price. You don't get to pick the color you want but I usually find some good neutral colors that I can use on a lot of different prime projects.

Splatter paint

For the next step I wanted to add some speckles of different color on to the tabletop. I used a white and charcoal colored paint for this part. I use a toothbrush dipped it in some water and then some paint and then with my thumb kind of flicked the paint onto the surface. You don't always have to use water with this step that the paint I had was kind of thick so I just added a little bit of water to thin the paint to give it a smoother spray.

Clear coat

The table top and bottom shelf each got two coats of a high gloss clear coat.

Paint the legs

I used black spray paint on the legs and covered it with a satin clear enamel spray.

Make wooden pegs

The legs were originally attached with wooden pegs and wood glue, so no I decided to put it back together the same way. I got a wooden dowel and then cut pegs that measured about 1.25 in.

Prepare the legs for reattaching

I drilled holes in the legs, filled the hole with wood glue, and then stuck the wood pegs into the holes.

Reassemble the table

I drilled holes in the table top and the bottom shelf, filled them with wood glue, and then carefully placed the legs(with wood pegs already glued in) into the holes on the table top.

Extra stability

I had a few corner brackets laying around from a previous project and they were the perfect size for this table. I screwed them to the bottom of the table top and onto the legs, for a little extra stability.

Final look

And here is the final look! It's like new! What was once a plain, wooden, wobbly side table is now a sturdy, stylish table!

Before and after

Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper

• Cinlu

Tell me more about the Finish you coated with. Is it made for Marine products?

• Joanie

You made it more beautiful.......It was beautiful before. I like before and after.....great job, it blends in well with your decor!

• Terry Morris

I love it