DIY The Cutest Unicorn Buckets

$10

Is it a pencil holder? Is it a planter? Or is it the cutest paperweight ever? Oh wait, it's a unicorn bucket  and honestly, that's all that matters since it can be used in so many different ways and it's real easy to make too.

I made these for my daughter and she uses the little one as a planter and the other one holds her collection of pens, pencils and paint brushes.

Aren't they just too cute? To make your own version all you need is:

• Faux flowers
  • Glue
  • Metal buckets
  • Spray paint (optional)
  • InstaMorph Moldable Plastic
  • Hot water (about 150°F or 65°C)
  • Wax Paper
  • Fork or tongs

If you can't find InstaMorph, air dry clay or paper mache will work too.

My buckets had little pink dots on so I sprayed them first. I can't for the life of me imagine a polka dot unicorn looking good

For the unicorn horns I used this crazy stuff called InstaMorph. It's a lightweight thermoplastic which is moldable when warm and becomes a hard, strong plastic when it cools down. It’s A DIY-ers dream and so much fun to play with.

Simply boil about three cups of water and pour it into a bowl. Allow the water to cool down so it’s still hot but not scalding to prevent burns. Throw the InstaMorph pellets inside and leave them for a minute until they become clear and start sticking together. Remove the pellets with a fork or tongs and shake off any excess water.

Use your hands to roll the InstaMorph into a sausage shape and then give it a twist or two to make a unicorn horn. Flatten the one end.

Is you're not happy with the shape, just dunk it back in the hot water and try again. Just a word of caution - InstaMorph sticks to other plastics and fabrics. Ask me how I know 🙄 Protect your work area with wax paper. Once you're happy with the shape, wait for it to dry completely before adding a little glitter or sparkling paint and then glue it onto the bucket.

Add a few faux flowers around the horn and draw on some eyes......

....... and your unicorn buckets are all done. 

3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Everything Red For Canada Day
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
Michelle Leslie

• Delanie

Can you put InstaMorph in, say, a silicone mold? I’ve never heard of this product before. So cool! I love these unicorn buckets!! Adorable! Your tutorial is very clear and easy to follow, too! Thanks!

• Delanie

Thanks for answering! I’m definitely going to try this!