Upcycling a $6.99 Thrifted End Table!

$40

Everyone loves a good thrift find. I recently found a $6.99 end table at Goodwill. I saw the potential in the damaged top of it, which I knew could look beautiful. Below are easy steps that I used to upcycle it. You could use these same steps on other furniture that you find!

Looking for more inexpensive DIY home decor ideas? Check out my $5 blanket ladder tutorial!

1. Find an old piece of furniture in need of love

Goodwill, Facebook Marketplace or maybe even your basement have a ton of furniture that just needs a little love to be beautiful again. Find a piece and get ready to make it look great again!

2. Sand off wherever you don't plan to paint

I decided to keep the top natural wood so I needed to sand down the finish. Also, there was a large imperfection on the top that I needed to sand off. I used a random orbital sander to get the job done quickly.

3. Wipe it down with a tack cloth to remove any sawdust

4. Wash with TSP wherever you plan to paint

TSP will take off any grease and dirt, making the surface ready to take on paint.

5. Paint the legs using chalk paint

Chalk paint is great because it requires little prep and I love the matte finish of it. I used Krylon Chalky Finish paint.

6. Rub Minwax Natural Finishing Wax on the wood to protect it

7. Style your end table and it's ready for use!

Of course I walked you through how to upcycle this particular end table but really there are endless options! Find a piece that fits your style and go for it!

Want to learn how to upcycle other items, like old windows? Head  here to see how!

Mary @ The Handcrafted Haven