Asked on Jun 30, 2020

Keep kangaroo mice out of my house?

OlivaPatty FekayKathy Gunter Law
+9

I live in the middle of no where in the desert my problem is mice and they jump they call them kangaroo mice. We bought property with a noble home on it an old one. We are still fixing it up redid floors walls carpet put new kitchen in. But a pest control is out of the question at this time due to we stuff everywhere till we finish bedrooms. But I cannot handle these dirty little varmints any more!!

• GrandmasHouseDIY

I know when my brother owned a mobile home the main place rodents came in at was where the skirting needed to be replaced around the foundation of the home. Is your skirting in good shape?

• Oliva

Can you soak cotton balls in essential oil of peppermint and place them around the home, atop pieces of saran wrap or similar (so they don't stain the floor)? I've also used many sheets of scented dryer sheets inside stored autos to keep mice outside and away from wiring, hoses, etc.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

essential oils especially peppermint is what mice doesn't like so I would put that all over

• Redcatcec

You will have to block all the possible ways they could enter, go outside and take a look where they maybe entering and block them, usual areas would include gaps in the skirting. There is a spray-in foam at diy stores that cuts their face as they try to chew through it.

Their diet includes small seeds and insects, so maybe look there.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

There are lots of great ideas here for getting rid of your unwanted guests:

https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=rodent%20

• Ellis

If you have shrubbery or plants against your house, trim them back. Find any entrance holes (mice can get through a hole the size of a dime!), plug any large holes with copper mesh or plain (not soapy) steel wool, and use Great Stuff Pestblock foam sealant.

• Chas' Crazy Creations

Here's a post that might help you - https://www.almanac.com/pest/mice

• Kathy Gunter Law

"Just One Bite" is a good poison, it works very quickly. It will take care of gophers so probably will handle these as well.

• Patty Fekay

Yes but will it harm dogs I have three

• LorriLJ

Yes it will. I would go with a non-toxic repellent. Diatomaceous earth (I buy it at TSC Villager) with peppermint oil mixed in. About 15 drops to a cup of earth. You can put it in small containers placed in and about your home. And you can also do a “chalk line” around the outside of your home. You can reactivate the earth with fresh drops of oil as needed.

• Oliva

Insure your pet food is secured at all times. After pets have finished feeding, wash bowls immediately. Secure any grains, flours, seeds, etc. in tightly sealed metal or glass containers. If you have bird feeders, cease feeding them, as these attract vermin. Remember that mice enter through spaces the size of a dime, and multiply, rapidly, carrying fleas, ticks, diseases. Scrub your cupboards and food containers well, at least 2x/year. Wipe containers of any residue that can accumulate on them, as you've used them. Wipe both sides of refrigerator and cabinet door handles.

Vacuum regularly with a HEPA filter bag. Insure all pet waste is securely bagged and disposed of in rodent proof, metal, heavy duty containers.