Narrow Storage Table for Laundry Room

$45

Our apartment's washer and dryer have had so much space in between each other and I've always felt like there was wasted space. I looked up some narrow tables to place in between them, but everything I found weren't the right measurements. I took it upon myself (and voluntold my boyfriend to assist) to create a table for the room from scratch. Here's how it turned out!

Take your measurements

I used the space in between the washer and dryer to hold my cat's litter stuff. It has always looked kind of awkward and ugly, and I wanted something that was tall enough that could hide the litter genie and litter, but also give me a little more storage space and room for decor.

I first took my measurements and figured I needed the table to be:

10" wide, 24" long, 34" tall

Gather supplies

I had these 11" W x 24" L x 1 1/2 D boards that I had leftover from my shelving project that I had cut to size. I had already sanded and stained them.

I wish I had taken a better before picture of all my supplies. But I went to Lowe's and bought some long 1" x 1" x 34" (the 34" wasn't exact) pieces of pine wood that I decided I would use as the legs (you'll see them pictured soon)

I also bought some angles (see next photo, bought a total of 16) and some screws.

We also used our level, tape measurer, drill, jigsaw, sandpaper, foam brush, and black paint.

Cut down the leg pieces to size

One of the first things we did was cut down the legs to size. We cut them to 33" using our jigsaw.

Cut out the boards where the legs go

Sorry my description isn't the best, but basically we traced the leg pieces onto the wood board with a pencil, we only did this on one of the boards, which would be our second shelf. I don't have a better way of describing it!

This is what it looked like after cutting them out with the jigsaw.

Painted the legs black

I wanted to go for a black paint to use for the legs since the upper shelves in my laundry room had the same look. I used a foam brush to paint them after I had sanded them down.

Because this table is going in between the washer and dryer and the legs aren't that visible (and only two of them are front facing), I didn't bother to finish them with a top coat or anything. I just did one layer of paint and called it good.

I painted 3/4 sides black and laid it on top of a box while they dried before doing the backside.

Install the angles

Once the legs were fully dry, we continued on to create the table.

We took two angles and drilled them into the legs side by side with our screws, then secured them onto the top shelf.

I wasn't intending to go for an industrial look, but I honestly kind of liked how they gave it that vibe!

We used two angles for each leg, we realize it could've been stable with just the inside ones, but I decided to make it a pairs for each leg, just for extra support.

Installed the second shelf

Using the second board that we made the cut outs in, we fit it inside and I used my little storage basket that I was going to put inside the shelf as a guide for the height I wanted to secure it in. I think it was about 7" between.

We again used two angles for each side of the legs.

After all were secured, we're ready to flip it over and see how it looks in the space! It turned out incredible!

I love how this really makes the laundry room feel more complete! I have a little spot to place some extra clothes or detergents and what not in between loads, and I also have a little shelf to store my dryer sheets and items behind it. It also covers up all the litter stuff nicely! I do have to pull the table out a bit in order to get the litter stuff out, but I eventually plan on adding some felt pads to the bottom of the legs to allow it to pull out easier for grabbing those kitty items.

Overall, I think this DIY made such an impact on this space, and it was so easy to make! A one day project for us, and also our first wood working project from scratch. I'm so happy with how it turned out.

I hope this tutorial inspires you to make one for yourself!

If you're interested in DIY projects, home decor, and room makeovers, follow me on instagram @emgraceyourspace for more :)

25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend

• The48774620
    The48774620

What happens to the table and dryer when the wash machine gets unbalanced and bangs the table side to side between them?

• Flipturn
      Flipturn

Reply to Suz48731922,

Years ago when all automatic washers were top loading only, they did tend to get 'out of balance'.

This was because the drum was constantly spinning at high rpms. This centrifugal force pulled against the legs of the machine, causing them to loosen and become uneven. You would know this was happening when you heard the sound of the washing machine banging when on the spin cycle. The legs would need to be levelled again with each other and re-tightened in position.(see picture below) This would not be easy to do if the appliance was sitting on a floor that was not even to start with.

Modern top loading automatic washing machines now come with a stabilizers to help prevent the legs being subject to the force of the drum spinning. The drums in front loading machines are mounted horizontally, and they do not spin (or agitate) around a centre post.

• Lemon
    Lemon

the water might make the wood rot and the corners rust eventually , try giving it an extra coat of paint just in case.

i love your project

• Emily Grace
      Emily Grace

Water? I don’t ever have any leaking, and if I do then I’ll let maintenance know! Haha so I don’t think that should be an issue. :) thank you though!

• Laura V
    Laura V

What is the item holding the "Clean" sign? It looks like a vintage toilet paper holder. I need one of those to sit by my dishwasher!

Nice job on the storage table, and your laundry room is so nice a neat! It makes you want to do laundry, right!?

• Dawn
    Dawn

I really love this idea! Great info. with photos, thank you for sharing. I think I will try this! Yours looks terrific!

• Sarah Anderson
    Sarah Anderson

This is exactly what I was looking for!! Thank you so much!!