Make a Stunning Gilded Utensil Holder With Hot Glue and Molds

$3

Don’t throw away that tin can! I’ll show you how to take any tin can and turn it into a stylish canister perfect for holding utensils, pencils, jewelry, and more! Using a creative technique that only requires a glue gun and a silicone mold, you can take any old tin can from trash to treasure in just a few simple steps. This project is so easy and the result is so stunning that you’ll quickly recycle every tin can you can get your hands on to make gifts for your friends and family! Get started with my step-by-step tutorial below!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Tin can
  • Hot glue gun
  • Silicone mold
  • Paint
  • Paintbrush
  • Gilding wax
  • Felt
  • Velvet paper
  • Utility knife

Create the Molds

Silicone Mold

I set the glue gun onto the hottest setting and set about filling the mold with the hot glue. The hot glue doesn’t ruin the silicone mold at all and the mold that comes out at the end can also be painted. 

Fill with Hot Glue

Let Dry

The glue goes in clear and becomes opaque once dry. I left it to dry for about five minutes, making it a quick and easy project. They are also bendable and can easily be cut to size. These molds come in an endless variety of shapes and sizes, so find one that fits your aesthetic.

Remove the Mold

Once it’s dry I removed it from the mold and was ready to move on to the next step in my project.

Trim

Trim

Often these can have some ragged edges, but it’s quite easy to fix them by using some scissors to cut off the excess. 

Glue the Molds to the Tin Can

Glue the Mold to the Can

Once I had all of my molds created, I was ready to glue them to the can. I used the glue gun to spread glue onto the can and then press the mold onto it

DIY Decorated Tin Can

I like to line them up at the bottom so that if I need to trim I only have to do it from one end. 

Cut Off Excess

Once I cut off the excess, I used a utility knife to saw off any excess bits that were sticking up.

Trim

Paint

Paint

Any paint will work well with this project, but I’ll be using acrylic paint today. Make sure to get into all the nooks and crannies of the molds. Really get in there with your brush. I also like to paint the inside of the can to keep it uniform.

DIY Painted Can

Gild

Gild

I wanted to highlight the details of the molds, so using gilding wax I applied a bit to my finger and rubbed it across the surface of the mold.

DIY Gilded Painted Can

Line

Line

The one that I made today will be used for utensils, so I just painted down into the can a bit and left it at that. If you want to give one as a gift you can line it with felt to make it a bit more respectable. I also added a bit of velvet to the bottom to help it stay in place. 

DIY Hot Glue Molding

You really can use any can for this project, here I’ve used a tuna can! I’ve found making these to be quite addictive. You’d never know that this was originally a tuna can!

DIY Gilded Home Decor

Easy Tin Can Decor

If you’re looking for me, you’ll find me making more and more of these decorative gilded cans! With a project this quick, easy, and budget friendly, what’s not to love? What would you store in yours? Let me know in the comments below!

31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
Julie McDowell - Design Artist

• Joanie

I got a ton of clean cans......I'm all set to go.......just get the molds........thank you for sharin'.......these are sweet gifts!!

• Gir31666482

It takes a lot of glue sticks. And I use the long ones. Been working on it for hours. I have one regular size soup can and one small mushroom can. Painted them and waiting for paint to dry. I love the idea, but takes to much time and glue. Thank you for the idea!