Lakeside Dock Build

$5000
2 Weeks
Advanced

Building a new dock from scratch was a lot of work but well worth the money saved and time spent. My husband and I did a lot of research prior to starting this project. This dock is on a Texas lake that is not a constant level lake, which is why we planned an attached in ground walk way with moving walk plank out to the floating dock.

Step 1 – In ground walk way

Without heavy machinery and the fact we lacked welding experience and equipment, we decided on securing the posts with 4 inch PVC pipes, with a center 1 inch metal pipe. These were pounded into the ground and then filled with cement.

Step 2 – Pour anchor supports

Texas gets some major storms, which is why we knew we needed to have some supports on the floating dock that would keep it in place. We filled the buckets below with concrete and left 8 to 10 inches of the support pipe which would be sunk into the ground under the floating dock.

We chose to assmeble the dock right at the waters edge to avoid having to lift it into the water. Here we have 8 dock floates, but later added 6 more for additional support.

Step 4 Build Canopy and attach decking boards

This was done much easier close to our equipment and supplies near shore and then it allowed us and equipment to be on the dock not in the water.

Step 5 Build and attach the moving transition section

Build and attach the moving transition section, also called a gangway, that would connect the attached walkway to the floating dock. This section has wheels on the dock end and large metal hinges on the walkway side to allow for the dock to move up or down depending on water level.

Step 7 Install the cement bucket supports to each corner of the floating dock.

This was a cumbersome task that involved digging a hole below each support and attempting to get the top pole through the metal brackett supports in the floating docks. These metal supports(pipe holders) allow for the dock to move up and down. If we had to do it again, we would use auger attachments to the end of each pole that could be twisted down into the bottom of the lake – lesson learned!

Step 8 Install canopy and sun sail

Install the rest of the canopy with extra support beams and add the sun sail for shade.

Step 9 Hammock

Install Hammock around wooden support beams and secure with support wire. We purchased our net from  Just For Nets.

Step 10 Install retractable swimming ladder
Finished Dock

The hammock is to the right and the two support beams on the left are for kayak and paddleboard storage. We also added boat tie offs to the end of the dock, with a padded strip to protect from boats.

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Flawless Chaos

• Granny
    Granny

This is exactly what I’ve been thinking is possible, and what I want. I knew it could be done. I will need to find a couple workers and make plans to start amassing the items needed. We are on lake bob sandlin in Texas. Many thanks

• Flawless Chaos
      Flawless Chaos

Thanks Granny - go for it! Dock builders charge a crazy amount down here in TX! Good luck!

• Thea
    Thea

Ditto to Granny. I actually can’t believe that this is a DIY because in my mind only pros can do such a huge job. Incredible!